Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester 5MT N/A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - the engine of my 98 Forester had been swapped when I bought it, to something newer and low mileage, but I don't know which model/year.

What's the easiest way of finding out?

I'm starting to do some basic maintenance myself where I'd need to know the engine model (e.g. spark plugs)

·
Registered
98 Forester 5MT N/A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got this in a PM:

The '98 was the odd duck as it was the only Fozzie to get the EJ25D - Phase 1 DOHC - engine. All the '99+ received the Phase 2 SOHC.

If they swapped in a newer model year, then they most likely had to change the wiring, which means you'll need to do more checking to figure it out. I know the DOHC EJ25 used expensive NGKs - I'm not sure if the newer SOHC EJ25 were the same.

The other option is they swapped in a '95-98 EJ22 Phase 1. These are common swaps on Outbacks, etc. w/the EJ25D due to the infamous HG failure, as they are 99% plug-and-play.

Do you have the two vertical bumps in the timing cover on the left and right side like i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/Forester%20XT%20Motor/IMG_0526.jpg (one side is missing the cover) or just one like brastic.com/sterling/ej22_stand.jpg ?

The 1st one is the DOHC and should be the same as what came w/the car. Also, if you look on the top of the block under/near the P/S and the Alternator it is stamped w/the engine size.

It was dark when I opened the hood, but I sort of saw/felt two bumps on either side - DOHC!

Does that mean they just swapped in another '98 EJ25D?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts