Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
03 Forester 2.5X 4 Speed Auto
674 Posts
To be totally honest I don't think you'll notice anything major between those and any competent aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
674 Posts
For what it's worth: Alpine offers something called a "power pack" which plugs into the back of their head unit and is a small 4 channel amp. Very easy, plug and play.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want to keep my stock head unit, I already sent it away to get an aux jack installed into it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
But.... Why do you want to keep it? No offense but it seems like you are trying to polish a turd. And if you plan on keeping it, you'll need to get an amp that can either accept high level inputs so you don't need RCAs, or a Line Out Converter LOC which basically converts speaker wires into RCAs you can plug into an amp. Be weary of cheap ones though. May not sound like they do that much, but cheap ones introduce distortion

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Definitely polishing a turd. Upgrading a sound system and keeping the stock unit is an oxymoron. Upgrade the stock unit first and you will be far happier. Much greater levels of adjustability for improving the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just prefer the look of stock to aftermarket radios, they just are too flashy for me. Can you recommend a good LOC?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Rockford fosgate 3sixty.3. Not cheap, but IMO it's unparalleled if you are bent on keeping the stock head unit. It's a line out converter and so much more. Crossovers, equalizers for each individual channel, time alignment, EQ presets, bluetooth streaming. It's a full processor

Cache COE8EQ - has some basic EQ capability on it

Pac OEM-1 -- Basic LOC

I'm going to push for the aftermarket deck though

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
What are your end result goals? Also what kind of music do you find yourself listening to most? I would look into sound deadening the doors too to get the most out of your speakers once you with an amp.

·
Registered
2005 Forester x AT
49 Posts
My opinion, ditch the stock head. I've tried the LOC route with little success. My 2005 LGT had a head unit with attached circuit board to the HVAC. First I did a hack on the circuit board to create RCA's. Next I tried the JL cleansweep . Neither gave the results I wanted. Finally put an Alpine head of good quality in the cubby area and that gave satisfactory results (mated to an JL 500/2 amp). My current Foz is a work in progress sound wise but its coming along . I opted for the $ 160 JVC double din KW R900BT . It has enough Processing power to make most people happy (Eq, X overs, Time alignment) not to mention clean power . a far cry from wimpy stock .
I don't recommend those tiny amps you are considering as they are class D design which suits low end (Bass) better. Many believe the class AB amps (although heavier and run hotter) are the way to go for mids/highs. Sound quality is always of utmost importance.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay so installed my new front speakers and the head unit, everything was working fine. I went to the store and on my home i was playing a song pretty loud and the speakers just shut off. I tried turning the fader to the rear speakers and still nothin. The head unit still lights up, did i blow a fuse?? :confused:

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
changed the fuse and now it works, can anybody explain to me what happened? I would like solve this so it doesn't happen again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts