Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to avoid spending $350+ for a new OEM CV Joint when the aftermarkets are $35-$75. But I've also made the mistake of going aftermarket without much research in the past and bought the ebay cheapie and it rattled my fillings. Is there a make/model that is known for being excellent quality without the chatter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I've bought remanufactured axles from Subaru dealers with successs. Also went the NAPA route without problems, which are Cardone remans.

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've read Subaru doesn't sell reman....was that wrong or is this a newer thing?

I see RockAuto sells Cardone in like half-dozen versions. Which is best? Also read to always get reman from Rock Auto, Auto Zone, Advanced, etc....otherwise it's "cheap china junk that'll wear out in less than a year." Any truth there?

EDIT: Found these.... Reman OEM on Ebay

But the part numbers are different. Is that the part number as a reman or is this not going to fit the front of an 02 Forester?

EDIT2: Need it by Saturday...hopefully the local stealership has them. No doubt they'll charge me $350+ for the reman. if they do carry them.

EDIT3: A dealer 30min away lists them for $134. I'll call local and then call them to see if I can grab one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
41 Posts
Well, guess this won't help you now (but maybe will help someone else): I have had good luck with EMP/Empire axles. Put a pair in our 01 Forester back in 2013 and they lasted around 65-70k miles before I had to replace them again about 2 years ago. One CV failed in a strange way- it would bind up on occasion, jerking the steering wheel. No noise before the problem cropped up. I believe EMP/Empire has been making axles for VWs for a few decades so I believe they are new and not re-mans. Available on RockAuto for ~$50 ea last time I purchased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts