Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 FORESTER
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of replacing the tranny on my wife's 2000 Forester. Why? More than a year ago, it started slipping out of 5th whenever she'd let up on the gas, and it became reluctant to shift into reverse. More recently, it started making dreadful grinding sounds, and is reluctant to move at all: I'm lucky I was able to drive it into the garage! From what I've gathered, the "input shaft nut" in the transmission got loose, the consequence of which are these problems. Since I'd hate to have done all this work, and spent all this money, only to have the same thing happen again, I'd like to make sure the input shaft nut in the replacement tranny is tight, and will stay tight. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter. In the mean time, I'll experiment on the this transmission.

·
Registered
2000 FORESTER
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, flstffxe!:icon_biggrin: If only I had known it was this easy 15 months ago, when the problem first started! I think the tranny's shot now. However, I'll practice on the shot tranny, then make sure that nut's tight on the replacement tranny. Thanks, man: that's a load off my mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts