Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SF 2.0l Auto S-Turbo
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a new to me SF, year 2000, with 90k miles on the clock. European model and automatic. :woohoo:

It has a full service history but I suspect the garage (not a Subaru garage) just did standard oil, oil filter, air and plugs services.

I'm assuming nothing else was ever done.

Car is in good nick for the year and mileage, well looked after. At idle it rocks side to side, don't know if that's just a boxer engine or if there's a slight miss. And she's thirsty guessing 20-25mpg (imperial gallons that'd be 16-20mpg US)

No major noises from the engine and driving just the obligatory wind noise from the front window gussets.

I'm putting together a list of stuff to do

Oil, air and plugs
Timing belt and from that job do the water pump, idlers and crank and cam seals
Drain and replace AT fluid.
Drain and replace rear diff fluid
Drain and replace front diff fluid
Replace plug leads

Given that money is tight what in the above list should be done at a minimum and what could be postponed for a few thousand miles?

Anything else I should look at? I'm assuming the 2.0l turbo head gaskets don't give trouble like the 2.5l?

I've a feeling I have a warped rotor as moderate breaking produces a pulsing feeling (definitely not abs, much slower) and given that she's probably still on the original brake fluid anything major I should look at in the brakes area?

Basically if you had to start with a blank canvas like me what would you do and in what order is I guess what I'm asking :icon_biggrin:

Thanks

OBW

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
Fuel mileage is about right, sorry to tell you. The AWD does help burn up the petrol.

Timing belt should be Priority One with all the seals, etc. I'd maybe pull a plug or two and have a look at them. If they have a nice color let 'em go for now. If it's got no drivability issues and runs well postpone the plugs and leads.

The engine will move a tad when revved but if it really rocks I'd suspect you have an engine mount that's failed.

I've not had problems with warped rotors on my 'Barus but it's certainly possible. Improperly tightened wheel bolts will sometimes cause that to happen. It's mostly annoying and can be postponed if you can tolerate it. Replace rotors, don't have them cut down. They will be more likely to warp again if they are cut. False economy, that.

·
Registered
2000 SF 2.0l Auto S-Turbo
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Due to concerns about the steering I'm going to do a full fluids transfusion this weekend, Oil, filter, AT fluid, front & rear diff fluid and power steering fluid with brakes if I have time.

Then order the parts for the timing belt change including seals etc.

OBW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts