Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally purchased the 2001 Forester L i have been eyeing :banana: and im not sure where to start on the modding :( i dont want to really put any serious money into this car until me wife decides if its something she wants to keep, or its its just gonna be our around town car for a year or two. so i guess im looking for some help as too what i should be considering. Im pretty handy with a wrench, so DIY is most likely the best way to go for me.

any help is appreciated!

oh and tint is most likely the first thing on my list once i find a place to get some tint for cheap

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
for the NA forester the best money can be put into handling. tires, springs, sway bars are all a great place to start

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to go with tires, but i cant justify it wince i purchased it with brand new tires :(

i am seriously considering dropping it on impreza springs/struts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
oh and tint is most likely the first thing on my list once i find a place to get some tint for cheap
I got my '03 tinted within two weeks of buying it (in '09). It was the first thing needed to go from oddly-interesting-grocery-getter to not-bad-looking-wagon.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea its first on the list

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
If money is an issues, my STRONG suggestion would be to stick with a 17mm rear sway bar, better tires, and may be a rear strut tower bar (Whiteline 590QR, as others will protrude too much into the cargo bay). On the next tier, you might want to upgrade to Swift springs, but beyond that, the power/handling vs. gain is minimal.

Oh, and a few other things: DO get Whiteline steering rack bushings; if it's a manual, DO get KB short shifter + bushings + transmission mount + trans crossmember bushings + rear diff outrigger bushings (all that is pretty much irrelevant with auto transmission). If you intend to go off-road, do get front skid plate (Primitive).

And get custom alignment, too.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, thanks guys! im gonna look into the RSB and Strut bar pretty soon (strut bar first so i can put my system in)

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
One more comment: a very good handling can be achieved with a set of WRX springs and struts, which can be obtained (used) quite cheap (need sedan struts and wagon springs; is using 04+ take-offs, top hats will have to be changed too). The downside - a lot less clearance, so off-pavement excursions can become a problem.

·
Registered
03 Forester x
5 Posts
Kinda in the same boat

I just bought a 03 forester x was looking to lower it I got a few buddies that have wrx's that are willing to offer springs struts but year range varies so does anyone know of a list of suspension combo's from wrx or sti's that will fit a forester i have looked but been unable to find one.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
I just bought a 03 forester x was looking to lower it I got a few buddies that have wrx's that are willing to offer springs struts but year range varies so does anyone know of a list of suspension combo's from wrx or sti's that will fit a forester i have looked but been unable to find one.
You may want to check the stickies in the suspension forum - the info is all compiled there. The non-turbo Foresters are no different than their XT brethren in the suspension department.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
My best advice.. check and make sure that the headgaskets have been done, check and see if the timing belt has been done, and when is the next time the recommended interval is coming up?

Also, you're not sure which fluids are in it, so change them out for premium synthetics.

Buying some season specific summers or winters accordingly would also help, or if you plan on going off the beaten path, some all terrain tires. Upgraded rims if you're inclined to dress it up for the street.

How are the brakes on it? Subaru brakes are some of the easiest to work on, not that they're hard to begin with...if they look like they might be due soon, or were just good enough to safely pass a safety inspection, think about some upgraded pads or possibly bigger rotors/calipers,

Bushings, there are lots of aftermarket bushings that will really breathe life into the handling of your Subaru again, and most are VERY cost efficient.

If you have a 5 speed manual and your shifter feels really loose, bushings are available for those from many manufacturers (Kartboy, TWM Performance, Perrin, Prodrive, etc) that offer a night and day feelf or the shifter. It'll be better than new as most replacements are Poly bushings are are much stiffer than stock.

I know you have a 2009 Subaru Impreza, but I have no idea about your previous models before it etc. ;)

·
Registered
03 Forester x
5 Posts
thanks for the info I actually got lucky with mine previous owner had it maintained at local subaru dealer all msi were done on time with documentation . the fozzie runs and drives great prevous owner also added alot to it before turning it in including back cage tow hitch montblanc roof rack 4 new uniroyal awp's and the brakes are all brand new. just in my opinion they sit to high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts