Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2009 forester with a drop in kit. was wondering where people ran their cables? since the headlight is behind that plastic cap thing, do people just run the cables through the existing rubber grommet thing? or some other way??

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I'm pretty sure that that's what I did but honestly I haven't looked at it in a long time.

Be careful what you say about HID retrofit kits. There are a lot of people here with some very strong opinions about them; you have been warned :biggrin:

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
"Fishing" through existing grommets may be difficult, particularly if you aren't fond of cutting and re-splicing the aftermarket kit's wiring, if their connectors are too big to travel through existing holes/ductwork.

Usually, it's much easier done to just drill a hole of the necessary size through the plastic dust-cap that seals off the back side of that particular bulb/area. A bit of silicone sealant or other adhesive will then again provide a weathertight seal around the cut and the typically supplied grommet present on the wiring of the HID kit.

Replacement dust-caps are typically very reasonably priced, out of the many choices of on-line OEM-Subaru parts retailers that are available, should you desire a stock replacement for resale, etc. :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds good to me, i'll try the drilling method. well i had these things lying around and they were free... so why not install them. shrug lol thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
NP, glad to help. :smile:

With most aftermarket plug-and-play kits, the wiring end connectors are likely going to require that you use a 1" diameter drill bit to allow it to fit through.

There's some good walk-throughs on LegacyGT.com - here's one for ya, authored by whobaru:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...-walkthrough-69506.html?t=69506&highlight=HID

Remember that was back when ballasts were rather gigantic......

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Trash can is a good place to start...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts