Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Where to order body parts from?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fircrest 
#1 ·
So my sister in-law's Armada had a little run in with my front bumper this past weekend. :mob: State Farm's claim guy just took off and left me with a pretty decent sized check for the repairs. Looking through the paper work I have some options, use the check and take the car to a shop and have the work done that way, don't do anything at all, or save the labor costs and get a bumper myself, have someone paint it and install it on my own (and save a few $$$). At this point I'm kinda leaning towards the last option, that way I can have have some other stuff done at the same time. I want the plate holes filled in and smoothed out so I'm thinking this is the perfect time to do it. Should I go this route or just stick with a shop to do it? Where's a good place to order a bumper? I've taken the bumper off multiple times so that isn't hard work at all, this would also be a great time to start saving up money for a turbo upgrade. All in all it'll probably save me $300 to do it myself. Any input? Thanks!:biggrin:

#3 ·
Thanks, a local just informed me that he has a dealer discount and that he can help me locate a new bumper. I really wish I was closer to my parents so I could just paint it myself. I guess that's what I get for getting married and moving 800 miles away...

#6 ·
oh yeah but on topic, definitely install it yourself. it's REALLY easy. And yeah, if you don't use the front plate, fill in the holes and maybe even have the thing smoothed out. i just got my jdm bumper smoothed out and it looks so much better! now if only he painted just as well... >_<

can you just take the remainder of the check? or does it have to be used all on the car? could always fix other places like small dents and stuff too.

#9 ·
May take longer, but if your car is driveable, might you consider looking for salvage parts(?). If you are going to do some body work to fill in the holes, you could sand and prep the bumper and other parts, then have someone do the paint.
Could be more money left for mods. :lildevil:

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Well, I just ordered the bumper yesterday with the help of a local. He has a dealership discount so in total a BRAND NEW front bumper ended up being $156. I've been reading up on how to properly fill the holes and smooth the front section out. It will take longer but I'll be saving $$ as well as getting the exact look I want. I'll post pics up in my journal page of the progress.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.