Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very briefly, I have one tire (Geolander) where the shoulder is pretty much worn out. It's bad enough that it wouldn't pass inspection. Anyway, I found a single identical tire with almost exactly the same amount of tread left as the other three, so I'm going to have it mounted. I was just going to bring the worn mounted tire and the "new to me" replacement to the local service station or even Walmart and have them mount and balance it. Then I remembered my L.L. Bean has the alloy wheels. Is that going to cause issues? I'm less concerned about a scratch or two as they're already nicked up enough and far less than perfect. But I don't want any issues with actually ruining the wheel so it might be less effective holding air, etc.

Am I being overly paranoid? Other than a few more scratches, any reason not to just let Wally's do the dismount/mount/balance? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Here's my suggestion:

1) Use Tire Rack's Installation link to find a recommended local installer. Just drop in your Zip Code.

2) Use Hunter's link to find a nearby shop with a GSP9700 Road Force balancer. Again, just drop in your Zip Code.

3) Compare the two lists to find a Tire Rack recommended installer with a GSP9700, and then give 'em a try.

I did this to find a local shop (Curry's Auto in Great Falls, VA), and they're now the only place that gets the tire mounting and balancing business for my three vehicles.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts