Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals and emergency flashers on my 1999 Forester stopped working a few weeks ago.

I suspect it is the flasher relay that has failed and I bought a new one online.

Now that I have the replacement flasher relay, I do not know where the original defective part is located on the car.

It seems likely that it is under the dashboard near the steering wheel but I cannot find it. I have crawled (with some trouble, I am 6'2" tall :icon_frown: ) under the driver's side dashboard with a flashlight but I did not see a relay that looked like what I bought.

So, can anyone tell me where the turn signal/emergency flasher relay is located and how to be sure it is the correct part to replace (i.e. exactly where it is located and what color wires are connected to it.)?

TIA,

--Doug/SeaKayaker

·
Registered
1999 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did find it eventually...

The flasher relay is under the dashboard on the left wall but it is not immediately visible. There is another electric device that is screwed to the wall in such a way that it totally obscures the relay. I had to unscrew and let it hang by its wires... Replace the relay and then re-attach the other dohicky.

It was very hard for someone my size to get at. One has to be upside down under the dashboard facing the left wall. At 6' 2" that was a bit of a trick. :icon_wink:

But once the relay was replaced, my turn signals and flashers worked fine.

--Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts