Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Where do you Park?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple weeks of very mild weather in the Seattle area we are now in the grips of a cold spell. It was 22 degrees out when I left for work. As I was backing out of my garage I notice that quite a few of my neighbors were out scaping ice off their car windows. It seems that very few people in my neighborhood actually use their garage for parking their car.

My wife and I both park in our garage. I don't think our Forester has ever slept out in the cold at home. We just jump in the car and go. No cold seats, no need to scrap windows or anything like that. It got me to thinking, what do other Forester owners do? Where do you park?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Garage, but in classic NYC fashion - it's an "open" garage - no warmth of any kind, just a 5 story frame packed to the gills with cars.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Definitely inside a garage. Parking is not provided in my building so I have to park two blocks away in a secure garage, with a monthly fee of $200. Sounds expensive, but no way I'd leave my FXT out in the street. I live right smack in the middle of downtown SF, Tenderloin District - home of the crackheads. It'd be messed with or ticketed. Bums/crackheads/meter maids, it's a colourful neighborhood.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
988 Posts
SKSTI said:
Definitely inside a garage. Parking is not provided in my building so I have to park two blocks away in a secure garage, with a monthly fee of $200. Sounds expensive, but no way I'd leave my FXT out in the street. I live right smack in the middle of downtown SF, Tenderloin District - home of the crackheads. It'd be messed with or ticketed. Bums/crackheads/meter maids, it's a colourful neighborhood.
What no whores?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
They don't mess with cars.

My garaging is $325 (sigh) but that does include about $50 in taxes...

and that's cheap, since it's 24 hours, and "indoor".

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
higgledy said:
What no whores?
If you're interested, I'm sure the crackheads will do anything for a few bucks. ;)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
No garage, so Subed sleeps in the uncovered parking spot in front of my house. The SVX gets the carport spot because she doesn't like cold starts as much.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
My garage is too full of my work & hobby junk so the poor Subie gets a carport. However, we did have an insulated, heavyduty carport built for it, so it's always dry and warm. Besides, the cat needs a high vantage point upon which to roost.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
WHen we were looking to buy our Anchorage house, we clicked on the Heated Garage box, left the others open...winters here are hard on car exteriors, cold is hard on the drive train (very wide temperature variation to go through every day, if you don't garage them...Anchorage is mild, and we only had a month of sub-zero weather - Fairbanks went a month without getting over minus 20 F, day or night)
-Quick

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
QuickSliver has it right. She's in the garage at night and on weekends when I'm not driving her. I park in a covered parkade during the work week and plug her in to keep warm. I will even plug it in when she's in the garage on some nights (on a timer) It was - 28 C this morning and supposed to go to -37 Fri night. Its mornings like that when I miss the insulated garage of my old house!

·
Premium Member
2003 XS 4EAT - maybe someday I'll hit 60K
107 Posts
I have a 2 car garage, a 4 car driveway and 5 cars. I wish the subie could be inside. Maybe next year. Street parking is not allowed after 2AM. I have to stop collecting cars or build a 4 car garage.

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
When we lived in an apartment: carport
Since we live in a house now, a garage is where walla-ru hangs out.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Underground at our condo for the Lexus & Forester for us.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
2 car garage + 4 cars = XT stays outside on the street or the driveway. We're considering lengthening the garage and widening the driveway, to give us indoor 2x2 parking plus more room outside. It's a pretty tight fit even in the driveway since the last owners put a small kennel on one side and a privacy fence on the other. Both are coming down or getting moved sometime soon. I just hope the village will give us the building permit.

S

·
0 Posts
I've heard that keeping a vehicle in a warm garage overnight in a cold climate is not good, especially if there's a lot of salt on the roads. The problem is that the salt gets all under the vehicle, then melts overnight and seeps into all the cracks. Night after night, year after year, this leads to rust.

I park my car in the driveway, unlocked. Don't have a garage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts