Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I posted this last night but I can't find where I thought I posted it so here I go again...

I'm interested in getting a new Forester sometime this year or next (if my car holds out) but would love to buy one with the CVT. I put over 90 miles on my car every day and could really use the money I'm spending on gas (I have the turbo so I put in premium fuel). From what little I've read on the subject, it seems as though Subaru does plan to put this transmission into the Forester - but when?

The dealers don't know (or won't say) whether the 2011 model will include the new transmission or, for that matter, even when the new ones will be available in the showrooms. Quite frankly, they don't seem to want to offer any information on the subject and make me feel like I know more then they do. Guess they're just tyring to sell this years cars.

I'm the one with 197,000 + miles on my car and I'm trying to plan ahead. You guys seem to have lots of information. Any thoughts?

2004 Red Forester with Turbo Engine

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's another example of different strokes for different folks.

Want a CVT? :icon_frown:

For many of us there will never be another Forester if they go that route. And unfortunately they probably will. :icon_mad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ya I'm not sure I'd want an CVT, especially a first gen one from Subaru.

Oh and yes, you do know more than the dealers, probably a lot more.

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
409 Posts
Subaru last tried a CVT in the Justy... You do remember the Justy? THat was the worst transmission and actually worst car Subaru ever built. I was working at the dealer when they came out... The warranty claims were through the roof!!!

SO.... CVT in another Subaru? God, I hope not!!!

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,934 Posts
Subaru last tried a CVT in the Justy... You do remember the Justy? THat was the worst transmission and actually worst car Subaru ever built. I was working at the dealer when they came out... The warranty claims were through the roof!!!

SO.... CVT in another Subaru? God, I hope not!!!
The CVT Justy was imported into the US 1989-1994, so I'm guessing that CVT technology has improved *a bit* since then. What kind of computer were you using in 1989 and how does it compare to what you're using today?

I've got a stick in my Foz, but the 3-4 mpg boost of the CVT would be really appealing for my wife, who has a 90-mile round trip to work. She's now in a Civic, but I'd like to see her in an Impreza or Foz next time around, and although she drives a stick well, her commute just doesn't lend itself.

That said, I would like to see how the new CVT does in the Legacy and OB for a couple years first.

George

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
To address the original poster's question, IF they do decide to put the CVT in the Forester for 2011, you won't see the 2011 cars til early to mid summer. But NOBODY knows if it will be for 2011 or 2012, no matter what any dealer tells you.

Regarding the idiot dealer comments, you can't expect dealers to know what Subaru has not told them. As a salesperson, I only found out about the WRX Limited like YESTERDAY, and that was because I happened to look at Subaru's consumer website for something. Subaru did not give us any indication that these cars would be out soon. Hell, the Special Edition package for the Forester, the first we knew about it was at that auto show announcement just like you guys found out.

And I'm not trying to be a dick here but you guys with the anti-CVT nonsense are starting to sound like a broken record, not to mention a bit ignorant. How can you possibly compare the new CVT to the Justy's?

The new CVT was not just randomly plopped in cars with no testing, it's definitely one of the more robust units on the market, and compared to the 4EAT it's way nicer in every measurable category.

Oh, and it's a FULL SECOND quicker in 0-60 mph than the new 6 speed manual, while getting wayyyy better fuel mileage, and zero transmission fluid changes. How is that bad?

I am by no means a CVT fan, but after having enough seat time in the new Legacies and Outbacks, I'm convinced that this is the way to go. Half of you CVT dissenters are in the "all automatics suck, I only drive stick shift!" category, but in THE REAL WORLD most people are LOVING the change to CVT. I have sold a crapload of Outbacks and Legacies to people who were originally looking at Imprezas and Foresters simply because of the CVT.

Modern, reliable CVT's are the next evolution of automatics for the masses. Get used to it. Yes I'd rather see a sweet dual-clutch setup, but that is not well suited to Joe Everyman who is more concerned with price and fuel mileage than performance.

Even Grassroots Motorsports recommended the CVT over the manual! When what is likely the most credible enthusiast magazine for the normal guy or gal gets behind a CVT over a stick shift, that should be a sign that it is worth consideration.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I generally prefer manuals, I'll say that up-front.

On Subarus, I like the handling feel of the way the manual splits 50/50 rather than having the viscous coupling with the AT. I would have considered an auto anyway if it was available in my model year with the same number of speeds. 4 speeds doesn't cut it these days imho. i would like to offroad more, but it's just not a good idea with a MT without a low range for unmaintained fire roads with severe conditions.

I am interested in the CVT due to the mileage gains and possible off road possibilities.

I wonder how towing capacity might be affected? Would be good to get up to par with the MT.

It is a very compelling and marketable argument that you can get AWD without the gas-mileage penalty, comparing Subaru AWD CVT to whomever's FWD AT sedan.

I would give the new CVT at least 3-5 years to see how it holds up. Hopefully it holds up at least as good as head gaskets. :icon_razz:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Subaru needs to do a lot of things to keep up with the competition. 4 speed tranny. Timing belts. Plugs that have to be replaced after only 60 K miles. And more.

IMO, switching to CVT does not cut it. I tried a new CVT Legacy. Nice vehicle, but no thanks.

I'm afraid my current may be my last.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I generally prefer manuals, I'll say that up-front.

On Subarus, I like the handling feel of the way the manual splits 50/50 rather than having the viscous coupling with the AT.
Woody, you got that backwards. The 5MT equipped cars have the viscous coupling and the 4EAT cars have the "electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch". Also the 4EAT will do the 50/50 split with the shift lever in "2".

Guy

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
The new engines mated to the CVT's have 60k interval spark plug changes.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
The new engines mated to the CVT's have 60k interval spark plug changes.
My '09 XT has a scheduled 60K spark plug replacement schedule. I don't know of any of the new cars / trucks / SUV's with more than a 60K replacement schedule to be honest Including my boss' 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7 Hemi)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Limite
16 Posts
I thought I posted this last night but I can't find where I thought I posted it so here I go again...

I'm interested in getting a new Forester sometime this year or next (if my car holds out) but would love to buy one with the CVT. I put over 90 miles on my car every day and could really use the money I'm spending on gas (I have the turbo so I put in premium fuel). From what little I've read on the subject, it seems as though Subaru does plan to put this transmission into the Forester - but when?

The dealers don't know (or won't say) whether the 2011 model will include the new transmission or, for that matter, even when the new ones will be available in the showrooms. Quite frankly, they don't seem to want to offer any information on the subject and make me feel like I know more then they do. Guess they're just tyring to sell this years cars.

I'm the one with 197,000 + miles on my car and I'm trying to plan ahead. You guys seem to have lots of information. Any thoughts?

2004 Red Forester with Turbo Engine
you WANT a CVT?? :huh:

buy an Outback and stay out of the mountains

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,934 Posts
My '09 XT has a scheduled 60K spark plug replacement schedule. I don't know of any of the new cars / trucks / SUV's with more than a 60K replacement schedule to be honest Including my boss' 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7 Hemi)
My '09 X has a 30k plug replacement interval. My wife's '07 Civic, her former '98 Mercury Sable, and our '02 Ford E150 van all have a 100k plug change interval. I believe that virtually all Fords and Hondas have been at the 100k interval for many years.

George

·
Registered
06 Forester
2 Posts
I changed my 06 foresters plugs at 100000 miles. And I did it them because plug # 1 mas not firing. I changed them all and it was still
doing it. So I changed the wires. Still did it sowe traced it down to the fuel injector. Changed that and I'd runs like new. When I examened the plugs they were definatly worn down but the were still firing.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Subaru will transition to the CVT, question is when. They already have it in the Outback and Legacy for 2010. Before I got my heart set on wanting to get a CVT, I'd go test drive an Outback with the 170hp engine and CVT if one can be found with the CVT option on it in inventory near you.

Also, I wonder if the CVT will be made by JATCO for Subaru? JATCO supplies Nissan and Mazda with CVT's, I'm 100% sure for Nissan and 70% sure they do for Mazda. JATCO = Japan Automatic Transmission Company.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
With due respect to Jared N, whose opinions I enjoy reading in this forum, anyone who's hot for a CVT might want to visit a Ford Freestyle forum. Remember the Freestyle? It's now called the Taurus X. A big 3 row SUV that came with a Haldex CVT (Volvo technology). The same tranny was used in many Ford Five Hundreds (which has been discontinued.). The new Taurus and the Taurus X have a 6-speed auto, there were too many issues w/the Haldex CVT. Not saying Subaru is going to use the same technology in its CVT, but replacing the 4eat w/a CVT will be going from well-known to lesser-known technology. I would want an extra-long warranty on that puppy were I to buy into it.
Steve
09 2.5 X AT

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
I get the whole "it's too new" thing, and I understand and respect that. But in terms of measurable performance compared to the 4EAT it's a pretty sweet setup.

Regarding the spark plugs, the turbos have had 60k mile interval changes for a while, but the N/A 2.5L finally got them, in the newest engine in the Legacy/Outback. Foresters/Imprezas still have the engine w/ 30k mile intervals.

Ultimately, what we all need to remember, whether we want to or not, is that Subaru is typically not at the cutting edge when it comes to options and technology, as evidenced by the evolution of their engines and transmissions. They stick with what they know works, which is why the CVT is such a ballsy leap forward (in theory), and therefore I can only assume that if they're investing so much of their reputation and money into CVT's, that they must be fairly certain that it's a good idea.

Of course, these are the same people who nixed the stick shift XT's, and gave us flimsy swivelling roof racks on the new Outback, so maybe they are spiralling out of control ;)

As a Subaru fan, I just hope they know what they're doing as they grow market share and evolve as a company. Subaru as we know it is changing, as far as if it's for better or worse, who knows...

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Oh, also, I can totally respect if someone doesn't like the feel of a CVT, I totally prefer manual transmissions myself. But if someone comes on the board asking about a CVT, try to not bash it simply because you don't like it, if you're going to bash it, be factual about it. Cuz like I said, most everyone I've had drive it loves it, and in terms of what your everyday driver likes about a transmission, it works very well.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
I hope I didn't come across as "bashing" the cvt. Having driven (tho not owned) a Ford Freestyle, I thought its chain-drive cvt was very smooth, if a bit noisy. It was just the lack of a track record for the unit that bothered me (because we did consider buying a used one.) And, as it turned out, the long-term track record for the Haldex cvt wasn't all that great. Like I say, the Subie unit may be totally different and many times better...but only time will tell. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Jared N outlines some rational arguments for the CVT. However Jared, as you are a Subaru Sales Consultant, at all times, you must realize that on this forum, most of the individuals understand in detail, all aspects of the Subaru auto. You have seen this in repeat Subaru customers, right?

In your sales world you are moving units. That is your objective. Subaru is giving you more mainstream products to sell while still trying keeping us die-hards happy. Please don't forget that just saying the CVT out performs previous versions of the Subaru product, make it a real alternative. Some of these people including me have an attachment to these cars because of the technology and safety features underneath the quirky skin that editors of car mags just don't get.

My seat time in the new CVT Outback may not be as extensive as yours but a couple hour trip did show that Subaru was on the right track as compared to the Nissian CVT version which feels like my old mini-bike clutch. Clank and clunk included. Subaru needs to increase HP on the base engine with CVT in my opinion for greater performance.

I have two of the '09 Foresters XT's. Would I like a five-speed auto? Sure. But I have no complaints with 24.7 mpg combined city/hwy. I also have sport mode or semi-manual shift that enables me to beat a new Camaro SS off the line and of course play around. In addition, the tuner shops reconginze the 4-speed tranny as a bullet proof that can manage and put power to the wheels when comes time to build my sleeper-rocket. How do you tune a CVT?

Another example, KIA throws every feature they make at you so you forget about the rest of the car. But it doesn't make it a better car. By the way, how about that resale on a KIA? Subaru has one of the highest resale values. The CVT tranny did not build that reputation. At least not yet.

I purchased the Subie because of the safety and technology that once saved my life. Not to mention the realiabilty. Not features! I'll live with a 60K plug change in the XT's as their hasn't been a Subie I have owned that went less than 250K. The jury is still out if the CVT can go the distance. Don't position the CVT as a feature but as Subaru's continued advancement in technology. The Subaru CVT is work in progress.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts