Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...this is my first post. I own a 2004 Forester with a turbo engine. It's my first Subaru and I've loved driving it. I currently have just over 197,000 miles on it (I do alot of driving every day) and it's still running like a charm. I'm trying to figure out the best time to buy a new car. At first I figured I'd just drive this one till it died of old age - how many miles does one get out of these Foresters? But now I'm thinking it might be best to get a little bit of money on a trade in and buy a new one before I get stuck on the road somewhere. I don't want to have to start worrying about traveling long distances alone at night.

Any ideas? Does anyone know what the average mileage is on these cars? Do many people get over 200,000 miles?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
I don't think you'll get much trade in value at that mileage. Maybe $3k or $4k at best. You must put a lot of highway miles on your car. Mileage can be very misleading, though. 200,000 highway miles and 200,000 city miles are two very different things but that won't be reflected in your trade in price. 200,000 miles is 200,000 miles to the dealer. It sounds like you have a reliable car and take care of it. It's worth more to you than it does to the dealer. I'd keep it and drive it until it dies.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
Assuming you've done all the required maintenance, like the critical timing belt change at 105K miles, your Forester should last until you tire of it. :wink:

With 197K+ miles, over 150K miles more than my '03, you're not going to get a bunch if you trade it in. Money wise, you might be better off diving it until it's worn out. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I don't think you'll get much trade in value at that mileage. Maybe $3k or $4k at best. You must put a lot of highway miles on your car. Mileage can be very misleading, though. 200,000 highway miles and 200,000 city miles are two very different things but that won't be reflected in your trade in price. 200,000 miles is 200,000 miles to the dealer. It sounds like you have a reliable car and take car of it. It's worth more to you than it does to the dealer. I'd keep it and drive it until it dies.

Mark
+1 Check AutoTrader and similar sites for your model, check outside your region as well, you might get more than what a dealer will offer and that will put you in a better position to deal on a new one.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
I think that realistically between possible HG, Timing Belt replacement, and allowing for something else.you are likely gonna put at least 1,500 to 3,000 in it over the next say 50K miles.

Its a crapshoot man.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Just about every economic study will tell you to just keep the car. Put aside one year's worth of car payments (say, $4,000) and you'll have the money to pay for just about any major catastrophe that might befall the car over the next 50,000 miles.

Another thing in favor of keeping your current car is that it sounds like you're going to rack up big mileage on the next car, too. So you might as well do it with a car that is paid-for and that you already enjoy, instead of doing it to a car saddled with a monthly payment.

On a related note, at Iola last summer we saw the 2.6 million-mile Volvo. You're not even at the 10% mark. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Honestly, at 200,000 miles, you're not going to get a lot more than at 300,000 miles. We're talking a few hundred bucks, MAYBE. It's gonna get wholesaled either way.

So trade it if you want a new one, or keep it if you want to see how much more life you can get out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts