Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when do you guys take the winter tires off? It's getting in to the 50s here and the Blizzaks are feeling a little soft.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
Here in Oregon, I usually take off the winter tires around Spring Break. This year with the very mild winter... sunny & lower 60's today, we took them off last month! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
200 Posts
Since I have a second car I can wait till about April 15th and not drive the Fozzy if the weather is nice . The times when I have taken off the snow tires before that had a freak snow about the first week of April in NC. So now I wait till at least second week of April.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Winterforces came off mine last Monday and the Triple Treads went on.

The Misses W409 I-Pikes are coming off today or Sunday.

40 degrees here during the day. No reason to let them waste away in the higher temps, just slow down if a small snow storm comes. If I see a forecast for a lot of snow(6"+ a couple days in a row), I'll take and hour and swap both sets back on.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a second set of wheels yet so I have to pay to change over. I guess we are still at risk of a snow storm this time of year. So I guess I will leave them on for a few more weeks. Sux I have to work down in boulder for a whille so I'm going to have to drive an hour each way. I need new summer tires really bad I don't want to put the other ones i have back on. There not going to last long if I do.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,973 Posts
So when do you guys take the winter tires off?
Typically, right before the last storm of the season! :icon_wink:

Seriously, living in New England I am conscious of winter weather. We have dedicated snows on both cars, and I chose our all-season tires in large part for their snow rating—just in case.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
I usually swap mine mid to late April. The last 2 years it was the first week of May, due to some pretty good snows in late April.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
i'm thinking about swaping mine as well especially now with new Michelin Exalto on their way to my house. I really want to throw the Geo's back on to have some direct comparison when i put the new Michelins on.
However, I am planning on going to Denver for Easter and will be driving through MN and SD to Mt. Rushmore a day before so I'm not sure what to do.
Any people from SD that could update me on the road conditions and historical forecast around beginning of April?

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about MN and SD. But I am an hour north of Denver Im keeping my snows on till at lest the end of the month. Every one is saying were going to have a wet and snowy March. And probably the beginning of April too.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Did mine this morning; we're done with winter in my neck of the woods!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish we were. I was in Boulder yesterday and it was snowing like crazy. :yell:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I was about to swap back to my summer setups, but it actually snowed at my house the other night and the mountains are getting nailed around here. I snowboarded Tuesday and it was compact snow and ice for a good deal of the drive.

I generally remove them at the end of March unless the mountains are gettign lots of snow and I plan of going.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Nice pics Trainman.

I switch mine about mid March. I then keep the winters in the garage for another month. I do this in case we get a storm that warrants my studded winters. I have an industrial jack and air tools. I can switch them in about 30 minutes.

My tip: invest in some decent tools so you can do the switch quickly and safely. This will allow you to switch between tires at the start and end of winter. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts