Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my second Forester. traded in my 2002 for a 2006 when it had 55k on it. My 2006 has 58,000 miles on it and will keep it for a while longer. I was at the dealer yesterday to replace the tires and they said that timing belt should be replaced at 60K. I had a 1985 Subaru Turbo wagon and the timing belt went bad right at 60k miles driving on the Ohio turnpike and I got stuck with family and two small children spending 3 days in a small Ohio town waiting for them to get a timing belt and make the repair. Based on this the 60k resonates with me but I have found info that now a days the belt does not have to be replaced at 60k.

I apologiize if this question has been asked before. but when should the timing belt be replaced and is there other repairs that I should do at the same time

thank you

·
Registered
2005 Forester
5 Posts
I just brought my 2005 Forester in for a tune up and they told me that I will need to get the timing belt replaced at 90K miles

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,810 Posts
You can find the maintenance schedule here. You'll see that it calls for replacement of the timing belt at 105k miles.

As for other stuff to do while they're down in there, this is indeed a frequently discussed topic here. The search function will find lots of posts on the subject. Here's my favorite.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,008 Posts
+1^ Just ded my 60k service and no timing belt mentioned by either the dealer or the shop where I had it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Woah, 105k for a timing belt on the 2002s. Actually just had the one on the wife's Fozzy replaced at just under 105k.

·
Registered
'98 Forester
503 Posts
Doesn't matter what year, or even what model... if it's a Subaru and has a timing belt, the replacement interval is 105k miles.
Not 100% true ...old Loyales are 60K ( if you can get them to go that far ) and the old Legacys are 60K ... but then again with those you can just run them till they break ...

But yea, 105K is whats recommended On all the newer stuff ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts