Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
42 Posts
Would you direct me to the source of this information? I'd like to read more about. also the OP was concerned about driving his winter tires during cold weather that may turn warm for a day or so.. It's not like he would be driving this tire in dead of summer.

Driving a winter tire in summer is what a lot of people do but its a little dangerous and cost money, more in the end. Now if its winter and you all of a sudden get a warm day or two no biggy. But, driving a winter tire in summer will accelerate the wear much faster... It also affects steering and braking negatively too. Tirerack, DiscountTire, Bigotire, Americas tire, les schwab all say not to run winter tires in the "summer season" its different for each region.

Winter tires are designed to flex/grab more in cold weather hence why most just call it a "softer rubber compound" VS a summer tire it built to handle the heat, friction, and forces of warm weather driving so they do not flex/grab as well in cold weather. Then you have all season which is commonly the middle ground. OK performance in cold/warm weather. Then trucks/suvs have the sizes needed for more All terrain/mud terrain tires.

A relatively new class of tire has come out called All weather tires. They are similar to an all terrain with winter rating. The rubber softens up in cold weather for better grip in ice/snow but firms up in warm weather for handling, better wear. Many feel the All weather will eventually take over the winter/all season in certain regions because having two sets of tires is just not an options for some folks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
537 Posts
So yes warmer temps cause more wear but at 70°F I doubt if he drove to DC a couple of times he’d return home with a useless worn out winter tires. Isn’t that OP’s concern?
You would be correct depending on how many trips he takes and how far he travels. It's really his choice, if I was in his position and depending on how much "real winter" driving is involved other than DC, I would stick with real winter tires vs All Seasons. Temperature is only 1 aspect of winter driving, I could live in an area where it's cold, but not get enough precipitation to warrant winter tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I have heard many times since I purchased the winter tires a few years ago that you should use them below 40 degrees. While it seemed logical that they could be too soft to hold up to driving at a warmer temperature, I have never been able to find a discussion, here or elsewhere. I searched the forum before I posted the thread and could not find this side of the discussion covered.

Lol. Indeed.

There are at least a couple of these threads every autumn. If one used the search function it would save a lot of clutter.
I will refrain from further cluttering the forum.

Signing off...

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,163 Posts
@SubaruSpouse - You owe no one an apology, and I thought your item was a good one for general interest, regardless of what anyone says.
One think about forums is that there is a large cross section of everyone, and sometimes that includes people who can act like jerks. Don't let that put you off.
My advice is look for the good and ignore the bad.
Everyone's opinion is their own and you have a right to yours, and according to the site rules, you are free to express those.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
113 Posts
Don't wait until last moment - if you need a dealer to install - everyone will be waiting for last moment.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Which temp? Daily high or low? And why 40deg? It's well known that 7 degrees Celsius is the threshold, which would be 44/45F.
When it averages below 40 during the day I take em off. Its in the garage at night. It’s a rough guideline and sometimes I do it earlier in the year than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
630 Posts
With temps varying from mid 60's to mid 30's early this fall, I bit the bullet and put some Blizzak DM-V2's on the new Rav4 Hybrid last week, as the Michelin all seasons that came on it were barely up to DD, they even howled on corners at like 10 mph so that car is ready should we get another swing down low and see black ice.
On the XV Crosstrek and Foz we are lready running G015's, but the Crosstrek will get the WS08 Blizzaks we have used the last two years swapped on next week for the missus. I did quite well last winter with the Foz and G015's and will likely go to those for 3 season tires on the Rav4 as well. I've been caught with crappy tread when the crisco hits and would rather be a few weeks early, I dont drive like a scalded cat so tread will be fine. Got surprised 2 years ago with the Tundra when the crap came down hard, put on tires that day or I would be stuck for sure.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i
9 Posts
Simple question: When is it time to put on the winter tires? Not asking for a specific date as that would depend on the region but what is the formula we should use?

Do you wait for a specific average temperature? A date when it is likely to not go over a specific temperature?

What do you do on a crazy warm day after you put on the winter tires?
Well? Don't put on Winter tires.

Huh?

Buy NOKIANS - Snow & Summer rated. We have been using these on two vehicles, for a good 5 years in MI, US.
No tire changes. No concerns. These bear a Canadian "Snowleaf" symbol - and work perfectly in Dead Winter, and High Summer.

When we bought our NEW Subaru Forester in 2017? We immediately DUMPED the Factory tires, and equipped it with NOKIANS.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
516 Posts
Don't wait until last moment - if you need a dealer to install - everyone will be waiting for last moment.
This is key. Shop I went to today is 2 weeks out.

Another way to look at it. Find out when your state allows studded tires then add 4-6 weeks. Lots of people here in Maine use Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
19 Posts
Buy NOKIANS - Snow & Summer rated. We have been using these on two vehicles, for a good 5 years in MI, US.
No tire changes. No concerns. These bear a Canadian "Snowleaf" symbol - and work perfectly in Dead Winter, and High Summer.

When we bought our NEW Subaru Forester in 2017? We immediately DUMPED the Factory tires, and equipped it with NOKIANS.
I love Nokian Tyres but have not tried their all weather tires.

I recently purchase a set of Nokian Hakkapeliittas and had them mounted on steel wheels for winter driving. I am holding off swapping the all seasons for the Hakkas for a few more weeks. I want to wait until November -- which I can do without having to wait in a long line at the tire shop since I have them on spare wheels and can put them on myself. My investment in winter tires is for the real cold days with snow and icy conditions that come in December through February where I live.
I have to agree with those that have said that the all seasons can continue to be used when the temperatures first drop. We had a freak heavy snow storm in September. Wet, slushy stuff. The Foz was still wearing the oem all seasons and plowed through the snow just fine. That said, when the real winter comes, I'll have more confidence driving on my Hakkas.

While the aforementioned advice of putting on the winter tires when temps drop below 40' is solid, what really matters is the climate where you live and your confidence with winter driving. I have driven on all seasons on a front wheel sedan in very cold and icey conditions over the years, but I drove very carefully and experienced a bit of tension doing so. With my 17 Forester and good winter tires, I expect to drive in bad weather with greater confidence. Saying this, it is still important to drive carefully on bad roads no matter what you're running.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Tour 4-Speed Automatic
7 Posts
I've lived in Colorado for about 28 years and have had my Forester for almost 9 years. I've never used winter tires. I guess it depends on how you drive and the conditions of your roads. I've stuck with a good set of all-season tires and they seem to work well for me. I used to live in North Dakota with their brutal winters and never used winter tires there either. The people I know that use winter tires around here, however, tend to put them on sometime in November or December when the temps are consistently in the low 40s or below.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts