Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: When is it time to put on the winter tires? Not asking for a specific date as that would depend on the region but what is the formula we should use?

Do you wait for a specific average temperature? A date when it is likely to not go over a specific temperature?

What do you do on a crazy warm day after you put on the winter tires?

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.0 diesel manual 6 speed
72 Posts
Which temp? Daily high or low? And why 40deg? It's well known that 7 degrees Celsius is the threshold, which would be 44/45F.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my concern is the still the high temperature. I drive down to DC occasionally throughout the year and they often have temperature spikes in the fall and winter that can bring the temperature up to the 70s. Is there a point where the higher temperature causes significant wear to the winter tires?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
203 Posts
It depends on your existing tires too. If you are running summer performance tires then I'd change it once temps dip below 45 F as the rubber compound loses its ability to grip. Source https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273 Then again, I've driven my BMW X5 with summer performance run flat tires in 10F temps all the time in NJ while the roads were dry and I have not had any issues with grip.

If you are running all seasons then I think it is sufficient for winter temperature driving... as long as their aren't any precipitation ( snow, ice, sleet ) on the ground.

Temperature doesn't affect tire tread wear.. It's the alignment, tire pressure that you would need to worry about.
Only thing winter tires would affect is probably your gas mileage as their might be more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
851 Posts
Temperature doesn't affect tire tread wear..
🤨 This is incorrect. Different tread compounds wear at different rates at different temps.

Softer compounds wear at greater rates in warm weather vs cold weather. Temps in the 70s are nothing to worry about. But run winter tires all summer long and they will wear at a faster rate than in the winter. It's not like they'll melt and wear completely down in one season, but they will wear faster.

This topic has also been discussed ad nauseum. If one does a simple search...

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,042 Posts
This is incorrect. Different tread compounds wear at different rates at different temps.

Softer compounds wear at greater rates in warm weather vs cold weather. Temps in the 70s are nothing to worry about. But run winter tires all summer long and they will wear at a faster rate than in the winter. It's not like they'll melt and wear completely down in one season, but they will wear faster.

You do know you have the freedom of not posting or even reading this thread if its making you nauseous ?
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
851 Posts
Is there a point where the higher temperature causes significant wear to the winter tires?
I'm sure there is, but 70s are fine.
You do know you have the freedom of not posting or even reading this thread if its making you nauseous ?
Lol

Lol. I know, I know. I should really just ignore redundant threads.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,042 Posts
Lol.
Hey I only go through the trouble of mounting my snows to ensure it never snows. Lol

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,232 Posts
In defense of the "ad nauseum", there are people who don't search (the current search state doesn't help much there) and are not asking a question, but still learn something when they read questions and feedback, maybe about something they didn't even know they needed to know.
Many questions seem to be folks concerned that they are doing the right thing, like the OP, and while (s)he has a legitimate question, it seems like many people are hyper-sensitive to their cars... Like when the oil reads .25 inches above the full mark on the dipstick..
While mild fall temperatures won't cause damage to winter tires, and the failure to adhere EXACTLY to maximum fluid levels really don't matter much, how does someone who is trying to understand what is right to do find out without asking... And if the question wasn't asked, maybe not only the person who didn't ask, but even some of those who provided an obviously wrong answer to the question would still be in the dark.

·
Registered
203 Posts
🤨 This is incorrect. Different tread compounds wear at different rates at different temps.

Would you direct me to the source of this information? I'd like to read more about. also the OP was concerned about driving his winter tires during cold weather that may turn warm for a day or so.. It's not like he would be driving this tire in dead of summer.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
654 Posts
Would you direct me to the source of this information? I'd like to read more about. also the OP was concerned about driving his winter tires during cold weather that may turn warm for a day or so.. It's not like he would be driving this tire in dead of summer.
Maybe biased but: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/driving-winter-tires-year-round

I know from my own experience with my motorcycle, yes warmer tires means more flexible rubber and that means faster wear.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,232 Posts
@bman400 nailed it. The linked article is a pretty good one.
The reason that winter tires work better in the cold is that they are more pliable in cold temperatures (along with tread generally designed with enhanced traction for compromised surfaces, like snow). That pliability when it is hot will definitely cause increased wear, and has no positives for operation in warm or hot conditions.
That doesn't mean you can't run them in summer, but that also doesn't mean it's a good idea.
For many people, the option of all season tires could be adequate, but as these are a compromise, the best all season can't match a dedicated winter tire.
If you need winter tires, it's worth the hassle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So yes warmer temps cause more wear but at 70°F I doubt if he drove to DC a couple of times he’d return home with a useless worn out winter tires. Isn’t that OP’s concern?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts