Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Subaru Forester XT

Looking into a set of aftermarket wheels. What is everyone's opinion on wheel sizing for the forester? Currently, the factory has 18" would like to do the same and potentially lower the car to close the wheel gap.

If I get 20" wheels, will I still need to lower the car to close the wheel gap?

How much lower (for each size) would I need to be to close the wheel gap on either an 18" 19" or 20" respectively?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When changing wheel size the goal is to keep the actual overall diameter of wheel and tire as close to the original factory spec as possible. So on an 18 inch wheel in this case the tire is a 235/55/18 i believe, could be a little off. So in this example if you upsize the wheel to a 20, in order to maintain the same diameter you need a smaller tire, like a 235/40/20, again not exact numbers but there is calcuators online to get the measurements right.

So to answer you question, no it wouldn't change your wheel gap. The ratio of wheel to tire would just look different. Now its not required to stay the same diameter, however it is not ideal for the way the car was engineered. All of the OEM suspension was designed with the stock diameter in mind. Your speedo will also be off if you change the overall size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts