Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 s turbo auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, seems all I do is ask questions round here!

I have a low speed wheel wobble, feels like it coming from the front drivers side. At very low speeds its tugging lightly to the right, similar to driving over a small bump. It does not increase in severity with speed and fades out around 60.

Its been there for the last couple of weeks and I haven't changed anything it that time. I was thinking maybe a wheel weight had been knocked off in the snow but whose are usually noticeable at higher speeds I thought :confused:

I tried to take driver side wheel off only to shear my 3/8-1/4 inch adapter, (no access to air tools) :( passenger side wheel was a little loose so I removed refitted and re tightened.

I have been reading threads that said the forester can be fussy to alignment when you change tyre types but I haven't changed anything. I am thinking I should get alignment checked, then the bearings any other ideas welcome.

There is an oil leak somewhere and its pooling just below the power steering refill point. I seem to remember there was a bit of oil on the drivers side of the engine from when I changed the plugs so it may have been leaking for a while. But I haven't seen it pooling before so maybe its getting worse :confused:
Last time I checked oil level a few weeks ago it was full and now its about half way between the dots. Again any ideas welcome but I may have to pay a visit to Godalming.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
wheel wobble is normally caused by alignment , worn bushes , tie rod ends or at higher speeds a buckle and or balancing ...badly worn tyres can give vibro also .
the oil is probably a cam cover gasket , very common .

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Mine developed a pull and wheel wobble over the last 200 miles, front tyre had bulged, now changed!

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
tracking is very easy to knock out, hitting a deep puddle too fast can knock it out. with all the snow and ice lately it wouldnt suprise me if you have lost a balance weight. if you have alloys, they are generally glued on to the inside of the wheel (steel wheels are generally crimped on) - either way you should be able to see if you have recently lost one.

Most tyre shops have decent enough equipment to check tracking too.

·
Registered
1999 s turbo auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got tyres balanced, they needed adjustment no bulges though.
Toe in on was slightly out and drivers side camber -1'29 degrees out but they could not alter it as the bolts are seized, recommended getting a garage to undo/replace bolts then bringing back.
Wheel wobble still there, may be less but it could be optimistic thinking :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts