Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Manual
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 forester L with about 83000 miles. Recently at low speeds it has been making a squeaking sound (one squeak per wheel revolution, sounds like front left) and I am getting steering wheel wobble at about 65 mph. The squeak is pretty quiet; to hear it I need to either have the window down or be going very slow. The squeaking also stops if I put on the brakes at all, but not the accelerator.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Probably needs a brake job. Not sure if the wobble is related to the squeak but should be looked at. Could be a tire balance issue.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Wheel bearing. Was getting the same noise, the hub itself was worn away enough to create play, rather than the actual bearing being very worn.

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
Crap this perfectly describes my squeak, last I checked I got quoted like 4 hours work for a bearing...
The "Bearing Work" is ridiculous no matter where you look.
Subaru Manual calls for 4 Hour labor, hence thats what they charge for it.

Parts themselves about 100-130 dollars, depending on where you get them.
I am myslef driving with the bad rear bearing, it sounds like I got a proppeller at the arse end of my car. :shake:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
The "Bearing Work" is ridiculous no matter where you look.
Subaru Manual calls for 4 Hour labor, hence thats what they charge for it.

Parts themselves about 100-130 dollars, depending on where you get them.
I am myslef driving with the bad rear bearing, it sounds like I got a proppeller at the arse end of my car. :shake:
Yeah I work at autozone so I can get the whole hub for ~80 bucks. I realize it's a lot of work but 60$(I think lowest I can get with ppl I know)*4=240$ (+parts). Mine doesn't hum at all so that is why I am on ledge about what I'm gonna do. After driving a while it starts to squeak at low speaks in a cyclic manner, seems to tremble bit on acceleration too from the passenger side, makes no symptoms at 40+mph though. It has not become worse or imploded so I have not done anything yet lol. I would like to be proactive but being in college eats my money.:N_poke:

·
Registered
99 Forester
29 Posts
Def. a wheel bearing. Put the car up on a jack and get that wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and wiggle it back and forth. If there is any play your bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. It will only get worse w/ time, and it can be very dangerous if the bearing fails entirely.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Def. a wheel bearing. Put the car up on a jack and get that wheel off the ground, grab the top and bottom and wiggle it back and forth. If there is any play your bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. It will only get worse w/ time, and it can be very dangerous if the bearing fails entirely.
Will give her a wiggle over xmas vacation :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts