Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 FORESTER 2.5X PZEV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new '10 Forester. I want to purchase the splash guard kit for the tires. The kit comes with (4) mud flaps. Is the installation easy? Does it invlove rivets or is it a simple bolt on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
I believe the splash guards are a simple bolt on do-it-yourself kind of thing... but from the pictures i've seen of them, they dont seem to provide much coverage... and they break easily.... I'd say your money is better spent purchasing some Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps.... They provide much more coverage, use the stock bolt locations in the wheel well's, and will withstand much more than stockers... Here's a few pics of mine:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
If you want the OEM's, which I have, then they are a piece of cake to install. Go here.....Free Publications > Accessory Installation Guides

There is a DIY section here on the forum where you can get the link to the Subaru Technical information page and the Accessory installation guides to all accessories. MY09 and 10 are the same.

I like my splash guards but I live in FLA and I don't really off-road, well I haven't yet. No snow, sandy muddy roads, or off-roading. The RA's will certainly give you way more protection but IMHO they aren't all that esthetically appealing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Depends on where you live and what kind of driving conditions you do. If its all highway pavement you may get away with the stock ones. I had them on my '10 when I bought the car but living in Canada they filled up with slush and you couldn't even kick it off because it was like a cup filled with slush which would freeze. Also if you look just behind your back doors you will see a clear piece of plastic on the body. This is where the rocks and slush that the oem mudflaps miss end up hitting the car. The first few storms we had this winter that part of the car was covered in slush. I could just imagine what it was going to sound like when I hit gravel roads and have all those little rocks bouncing off my new paint.

I bought a set of the RA mudflaps and put them on, they cover a LOT more and I don't have nearly as much dirt,slush on the side of the car. Plus when I do get slush on them a small tap with my boot and it all falls off. They took me about an hour and a half to put on. They just line up with the holes that are already there. But if you can't take off the back tires to reach the holes you need an off-set screwdriver to be able to fit it. I did it with the tires on but it would have been much faster with them off. You could probably put on the OEM ones in like 30 mins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts