Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester Ltd S Manual
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states (sub. Forester 5 speed ) The wheel seems to periodically 'lock' during a turn or become stiff...

Now a little background for those who followed my detailed Center Diff replacement post with pictures and all know I've replaced this part this summer... I installed a center diff that was very low mileage and was expecting it would last a bit longer...as I have not abused of the car apart from getting stuck a few days ago.

So as I was saying, the car's been running fine since the swap in July this year, but just recently I got stuck in some deep snow (Giving it maybe a bit more stress than usual) so can my "new" center diff already be on its way out and I'm getting steering bind?? Or does a bunch of snow and ice stuck in the driving parts OR a intermittent Power steering pump cause this sort of situation?

What are some pointers to start looking for!

Thanks Guys,

mat

·
Registered
2000 Forester Ltd S Manual
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys so after a couple tests it is in my knowledge not the center diff failing as it happens EVERY TURN no matter how quickly or how inclined the wheels are there is a ZONE IN THE STEERING on both sides (basically with wheel CENTERED) there is a zone on the right and on the left where it starts to get STIFF you take the corner, and then go back THROUGH that stiff zone and re-enter the soft zone towards the center of the steering...

My power steering pump SEEMS to be in good shape, the oil level was good I added just a bit to see where its at, but there's no noise coming from the pump AT ALL, I don't believe the strap to be slipping as I never hear slippage noise NOR does the tension seem off by my observation.

I've heard some people tell me to check the joints where the steering column pins to the actual steering pinion that it could be jammed? Is there a way to diagnose this problem ? I'm a bit lost ...

One thing to keep in mind if it can help retrace my problem : I was stuck in some deep snow and the next day I had to stop quite urgently on the freeway when a Car slid infront of me (So two stresses on the chassis) so does anyone see anything else? Could a STRUT HAT bearing be shot and be hard to turn? One another thing the WIRE that plugs behind the steering pump is broken off the connector I've read this only brings up idle when turning wheels under Idle condition... Would it have any impact during corners?

Thanks guys!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts