Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 Forester X. It has steel wheels but had chrome Subaru wheel covers. It was making a creaking-squeaking noise that was bothersome, especially considering the Forester's reputation for bad wheel bearings. Turns out it was the wheel covers! I got an aftermarket set for about $50 shipped and the noise was gone! :woohoo:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
post 11 on the way to link ability

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
post 12 on the way to link ability

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
post 13 on the way to link ability

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
post 14 on the way to link ability

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
post 15 on the way to link ability

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more for good measure!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should also mention the wheel covers have clips that grasp the outside of the rim, not the inside like many I have had in the past. What happens when a wheel cover gets old or damaged is that when a certain clip is on the bottom as the wheel rotates, the deformation from the tire moves the cover and/or clip, causing noise.

Here are similar aftermarket wheel covers I got, which I actually like the appearance of a little better than stock. The stock ones look a little flatter and these look a little curvier like the original steel wheel shape. A set of 4 is less than what 1 replacement Subaru stock one is. They are holding up well so far, although I usually remove them and reinstall myself when I go to get wheels rotated/balanced or alignment done. I don't trust even better shops to not get in a hurry and yank them off or try to slam them back on.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
35 Posts
I should also mention the wheel covers have clips that grasp the outside of the rim, not the inside like many I have had in the past. What happens when a wheel cover gets old or damaged is that when a certain clip is on the bottom as the wheel rotates, the deformation from the tire moves the cover and/or clip, causing noise.

Here are similar aftermarket wheel covers I got, which I actually like the appearance of a little better than stock. The stock ones look a little flatter and these look a little curvier like the original steel wheel shape. A set of 4 is less than what 1 replacement Subaru stock one is. They are holding up well so far, although I usually remove them and reinstall myself when I go to get wheels rotated/balanced or alignment done. I don't trust even better shops to not get in a hurry and yank them off or try to slam them back on.
Nice. Where did you buy these wheel covers?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. Where did you buy these wheel covers?
Amazon.com: 2003-2007 Subaru Forester 16 inch Wheel Cover Hub Caps (XL Model): Automotive

Amazon - C&C Car Worx Corp.

I don't think the quality is quite as good as OEM and I plan on being careful with them. The price sure is right! $58.50 + free shipping.

To remove the covers I use a med-large flat blade screwdriver and put in in the middle of the steel clip and press inward towards the center of the wheel. I don't like the design, but it is what it is. I do really like the chrome look. If you look really close there is a small gap around each lug nut where the steel wheel peeks through, maybe about 1/16" average. I noticed it when I first put them on but pretty much forgot about it after that.

If not for these affordable covers, I probably would have left the old OEM ones on until the noise got too bad and then just took them off and threw them away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts