Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester 2.5xlimited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 forester took delivery on mar.15 thinking about adding
these moldings to car,what to you think are they worth the money!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
i have a 2010 forester took delivery on mar.15 thinking about adding
these moldings to car,what to you think are they worth the money!
i have them on my pearl while forestor - looks amazing. I was hesitant at first to get them because i had not seen any foresters on the road with them, but i have absolutely no regrets looks rugged,yet classy and shoukd help protect the wheel arches from door dings - even looks good with my black winter wheels...a must have!

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
I just saw the photos in the post about why not to use them... not pretty. But I can say I also like the look of them and that they do protect the vehicle from door dings quite well. One of mine already took the brunt of someone's door, had the wheel arch molding not been there it would have likely put me in a very bad mood. Mine came with the car so I can't vouch for how difficult or not to put on, but mine are also coming detached a bit on the back doors, both sides leaving a gap between them and the paint. I've read somewhere on the forum where that can happen and that they will be fixed under warranty. It's not really rocket science though.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I wouldn't loose any sleep about the rust problem that those Nissans have had unless you really plan on having the car for 12-20 yrs. Even then there may not be a problem.

However, the cost is absurd on these items. I have only seen one at the dealer lot and althought they look failrly good, I doubt I'd get them for even half the price. AND, if you ever scuff one up they may not be available (or match after some sun fading) several yrs later. The steel can always be replaced, filled and painted, but with unfinished plastic you may be out of luck.

Bob

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Edit: Uh...oops...that went in the wrong post! Doh!

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Both rear wheel arch moldings were not just repaired but replaced. The new ones were nice and tight up against the vehicle body and one side let go again after about a week though. I guess I'll take it in again, and probably again...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x tourin
18 Posts
I purchased my 2010 last October with the wheel arch molding installed by the dealer. I had to get both sides(rear door portion) changed as they came partly unglued. This work was done on waranty at no cost to me. The dealer told me if they come off again to come back and they will try something different. I like the look of them and they do offer a level of protection from door dings. In the winter they need to be cleaned from the inside to remove salt.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
I had the rear ones replaced last year when one side looked like it was coming away from the metal..they replaced them both and the new ones have been nice and tight thru the winter and still today.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
17 Posts
I have them and am glad I did. It does toughen up the look a bit. Compare the look to a BMW X3.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Where is OP

wonder where OP is

His/Her Last Activity: 05-22-2010 09:05 PM

no reply at all

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X
35 Posts
The wheel arch moldings on my 2011 Forester have gaps between the molding and the body of the car. I am grateful to this forum which recommends that I wait until the weather is warmer to take this to the dealer under warranty. Apparently the adhesive needs warm temperatures to cure properly. The car has only 1600 miles on it. I'll deal with this at the 3000 mile service.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Premium
52 Posts
Both rear wheel arch moldings were not just repaired but replaced. The new ones were nice and tight up against the vehicle body and one side let go again after about a week though. I guess I'll take it in again, and probably again...
i don't think they can re-attach them. i'm also waiting for replacements after the dealer failed to paste them back. the car is 2 months old and like you say this could be a long drawn out thing just for some plastic trim...the thing is of course, i don't want the fenders rusting out.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X
35 Posts
Wheel Arch Moldings

I have noticed that the new Honda CRVs have wheel arch molding as a standard feature. They seem to be better fitted to the fenders than the Subaru moldings. I'll be going in soon to have my 2011 Forester's rear moldings inspected. One is clearly unattached at one end and it also does not line up with the molding in front of it. Both sides have small gaps between the body of the car and the moldings. For the price paid, Subaru should have better ways of attaching the moldings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts