Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What did you/do you plan on doing about the screen in your banjo bolt?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Most of you know about the possibility of the screen inside of the banjo bolt getting clogged over time and causing turbo failure due to oil starvation (can happen on any turbo subaru). Please vote on what you think is the best method of dealing with this issue, and feel free to post/discuss why you used/plan to use that method.

Here are some links to Subaru's TSBs regarding the issue:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-106-08.pdf
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-103-07.pdf

LGT.com walkthrough/thread: 2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal - Subaru Legacy Forums
Forced Performance article/links: Forced Performance Turbochargers

Edit: the filters in question are in the banjo bolts of line that feeds the turbo charger and not to be confused with the ones to the AVCS shown in this link:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/tsb-02-97-05-rough-5782.html

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
860 Posts
I voted to remove the screens, but I just realized that the TSBs that you posted are are different than the TSB (AVCS) that Peaty's link refers to. I removed the AVCS screens on mine and have had no issues.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I voted to remove the screens, but I just realized that the TSBs that you posted are are different than the TSB (AVCS) that Peaty's link refers to. I removed the AVCS screens on mine and have had no issues.
Oops, sorry if that was confusing. Could a mod edit the poll title to specify "oil supply screen" or something along those lines?

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
If I could easily do it I'd most likely remove them. But I've looked where they are and thought it would be very difficult to do. I just make sure I change my oil and filter at the right intervals so as to not clog up the screen.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Haven't done the turbo one's, but will when I upgrade that part. I did go to do the AVCS myself and they weren't in there. Guess they stopped putting in the '05's even though my VIN fell within the TSB though.:shrug:

·
Registered
2004 FXT
1,632 Posts
My dealer has only seen it on modified or abused cars. I also use good synthetic Group IV/V oil (German Castrol, Amsoil SSO and now Red Line) so I'm not worried about them. My turbo was replaced at 65k due to oils getting past the seals and there was not any sludge on my screens.

-Dennis

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer has only seen it on modified or abused cars. I also use good synthetic Group IV/V oil (German Castrol, Amsoil SSO and now Red Line) so I'm not worried about them. My turbo was replaced at 65k due to oils getting past the seals and there was not any sludge on my screens.

-Dennis

hmmm mine is modified and driven somewhat hard occasionally, but I wouldn't call it abuse. Not anymore so than one would expect from a factory turbo'd car with AWD.

What kind of change intervals have you been using on that synthetic?

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
955 Posts
I am wondering this too. I heard removing them resolves the sometimes described "rough idle". Ive located the bolts, but haven't got around to doing anything about them. If this thread comes through and provides an answer' ill most likely go that route when I install the upcoming VF43.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am wondering this too. I heard removing them resolves the sometimes described "rough idle". Ive located the bolts, but haven't got around to doing anything about them. If this thread comes through and provides an answer' ill most likely go that route when I install the upcoming VF43.
Agreed. I was hoping this thread would garner more interest/input from people. 170 views and 12 votes :icon_frown:. I have not voted myself yet because I'm undecided, but am leaning toward removing the oil supply screen all together.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Agreed. I was hoping this thread would garner more interest/input from people. 170 views and 12 votes :icon_frown:. I have not voted myself yet because I'm undecided, but am leaning toward removing the oil supply screen all together. Especially considering the 07+ cars dont have this screen in the banjo bolt at all
I've pulled mine, from the AVCS too. I keep to frequenty oil changes as well. Every 3-4k, always use Mobil One...

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
My dealer has only seen it on modified or abused cars.
This is a common problem on Legacy GT and Outback's. One of our local club members is a Subaru tech at the dealership. 99.9 % of those Legacy's are bone stock driven by "mature" 40-80 year old owners.

BTW, how does abusing or modifying your car cause the screen to get clogged ?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
137 Posts
I removed the two AVCS filters (TSB 02-97-05) but no reduction in idle shake. Am I understanding it correctly that there is a third turbo oil supply filter shown on TSB 02-106-08? If so does anyone have a good picture of its location?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
As of this post, I have 84,000 miles left on my warranty. I'm not worried about it.

I change my oil between 3000 and 3500 miles. I only use Motul full synthetic 5W40. If Porsche approves it for use in their GT-series 911's, then it's probably good enough for my OBXT.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Turbo
58 Posts
If I ever had a problem I guess it would be best to replace so there is no worries down the road. I would be worried if the part clogs: there might be an issue with part age.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Premium
16 Posts
I wish there was an easy answer

My XT '05 is in the shop right now with a blown turbo... trouble is, the turbo looks to only be a few thousand miles old (i bought it at 64k, it has 75k now). I cannot blame the banjo bolt screen or the AVCS screens, but I definitely have the rough idle and the burned out turbo! I have voted that I will likely remove them. Previous owners likely did not take great care of the changes and such... but would that be more of a reason to keep the filters after having them cleaned? I need an answer on this issue but my real question is:
How can not having the filters be a bad thing? If they are only to be cleaned on a "replacement" then they are likely to just get clogged until they clog the line and cause a failure.
They seem pointless to me?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5-spd
282 Posts
I'm guessing the original intent was to keep any large particles from entering the turbo and damaging it. I guess they didn't foresee them getting clogged and causing turbo damage though. I don't see any practical reason to keep them and there's a pretty good reason to get rid of them. Basically, take them out or clean them often but what a pain! Just take them out. BTW, there are many discussions on this on both NASIOC and IWSTI.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If you're going to go in there to do it, might as well remove it. If you leave it in you'll possibly have to pull them again and its not fun to get the turbo one.

If there are big enough particles in the oil that the screen would stop, then there are bigger issues with the car!

@Danyul, I'd be worried about what happened to the previous turbo and what was replaced. If a turbo badly fails, pieces can get into the oil and get trapped in various parts of the oil system (especially the cooler at the oil filter), there can also be an issue with bits getting down the uppipe and going through the new turbo when its first started.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts