Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X 5-speed Manual
34 Posts
First tow

I rented a smallish trailer to help with a move. The trailer is 8ft long, 5ft wide and 6ft high. The folks we rented from said it had an empty weight of 1700lb. I figure we had between 500 and 700 lbs of cargo. Everything went well, but it wouldn't hold highway speed (100 kph/62 mph) in 5th. 4th felt good, though, being responsive and easily holding speed even up the hills. I didn't figure that sustained 3500 rpm was a problem.

Picasa Web Albums - Ron & Devy - JayMove

·
Registered
MY07 Forester XT
16 Posts
Avan Cruiseliner

Hi our 07XT Auto handles the Avan Cruiseliner, 1200kg, quiet well with a Towmaster leveler and antisway bar.
Does use a bit more fuel though around 400 klm per tank while towing and 500 klm without the Avan.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
47 Posts
I rented a smallish trailer to help with a move. The trailer is 8ft long, 5ft wide and 6ft high. The folks we rented from said it had an empty weight of 1700lb. I figure we had between 500 and 700 lbs of cargo. Everything went well, but it wouldn't hold highway speed (100 kph/62 mph) in 5th. 4th felt good, though, being responsive and easily holding speed even up the hills. I didn't figure that sustained 3500 rpm was a problem.

So where did you find the hills? :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
10 Posts
Hello. I bought a '09 forester(non turbo). Some of the people that I know are done lots of trailer pulling(with duramaxes and older bigger SUVs) so, quiet experienced. And they saying that thare is no way I can tow even an average fishing boat(lets say 14ft). And I'm thinking about getting a quad with the trailer. Are they right? And they do differentiate between towing(hiway speeds) and pulling(at city speeds).

·
Registered
2009 Forester
13 Posts
Hello. I bought a '09 forester(non turbo). Some of the people that I know are done lots of trailer pulling(with duramaxes and older bigger SUVs) so, quiet experienced. And they saying that thare is no way I can tow even an average fishing boat(lets say 14ft). And I'm thinking about getting a quad with the trailer. Are they right? And they do differentiate between towing(hiway speeds) and pulling(at city speeds).
I also have a '09 Forester AT NA. I got it for the towing capacity (2400#). I tow several trailers - from a small kayak trailer to my 17 ft fiberglass flats boat (weighted right at 2400#). I traded in a gas hog of a large SUV. The old truck pulled every thing as if it did not exist. But at 11mpg around town, I was glad to get rid of it. Pulling the flats boat several hundred miles with the forester was no problem. I averaged on my last trip 17.5 mpg towing. I keep the speed at 65 to 70 mph. No major hills, but a bit of down shifting on the over passes. It is recommended that the trailer have brakes if it weights above 1500#(?). Otherwise panic stops would end in panic :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X 5-speed Manual
34 Posts
Well, I won't go so far as to say you shouldn't listen to them, but I think most people completely misunderstand what it takes to tow a trailer. In my family, we've pulled 4000-lb cabin trailers with 1950 6-cyl Studebaker, hauled 16 ft fiberglass boats with 4-cyl Ford Falcon, etc. I have a 15-foot home-built wooden boat (mini cabin cruiser) that I've towed with a 2000 Tracker that had less going for it than my 2009 Forester non-turbo.

A highway tractor has 2-4 times the horsepower and 10-15 times the torque of our Forester and pulls at least 20 times as much weight, so power (or torque) to weight shouldn't be an issue.

If you really want to try it out, go rent a trailer and see how it works. You don't need to hold the full highway speed-limit going up hills and you don't need keep up with the Porches at the lights in order to have an effective tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quad and trailer....no problem!!!!You'll be just fine. I pull my Hydrostream out of the water better than a Ford Ranger in 4X4 with an aluminium run-about. I was seriously surprised to see the Ranger struggling!!!:huh:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm buying a used 13 foot Casita camping trailer soon and will be towing that with the Forester. It weighs about 1750 lbs empty, with a tongue weight of 245 lbs. Tongue weight is important too, I think the Forester is rated to 300 lbs tongue weight. I am considering upgrading the trailer to add brakes later on, but I know there are a few things I gotta fix on it first before adding brakes.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
I'm buying a used 13 foot Casita camping trailer... about 1750 lbs empty, with a tongue weight of 245 lbs... I think the Forester is rated to 300 lbs tongue weight....
Here's from my Manual, p. 8-19&20, Driving Tips"
Total trailer weight
The total trailer weight (trailer weight plus
its cargo load) must never exceed the
maximum weight shown in the following
table.
AT models When towing a
trailer without
brakes.
1,000 lbs
(453 kg)
When towing a
trailer with brakes.
2,400 lbs
(1,087 kg)
When towing a
trailer on a long
uphill grade continuously
for over
5 miles (8 km) with
an outside temperature
of 104F
(40C) or above.
1,000 lbs
(453 kg)

Tongue load
Ensure that the trailer tongue load is from
8 to 11 percent of the total trailer weight
and does not exceed the maximum value
of 200 lbs (90 kg)

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
I have a small enclosed trailer... 5x10 aluminum trailer. i'm guessing it is about 800-900 lbs...
Your trailer's construction sounds similar to Jadero's trailer except 2 feet longer, so your trailer could weigh almost 2000 lbs:
I rented a smallish trailer... 8ft long, 5ft wide and 6ft high. The folks we rented from said it had an empty weight of 1700lb...
The problem with all commercial and rental trailers is their weight, which uses up most of the Forester's capacity before the trailer is loaded, and by themselves put the Forester into the recommended need for trailer brakes and transmission cooler. I favor the 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer which only weighs about 300 lbs, but then it is not enclosed so of limited use.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/IMG_0679.jpg

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here's from my Manual, p. 8-19&20, Driving Tips"
Mine is a 5MT, llok at my signature. Figures are similar per manual, I know. AT the Casita forum there are plenty of people towing these small trailers with NA Subarus, one guy's clutch lasted 120,000 miles towing a Casita without brakes. There is a guy towing one with a VW New Beetle. The fact is in the US, because we are such a litigious society, towing figures are much lower than overseas. I bet if anyone from Europe quoted their manual you would find out that the Forester can tow a lot more than what the manual says.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
... one guy's clutch lasted 120,000 miles towing a Casita without brakes....
I'm sure there must be a connection there.

For 15 years I towed a 2000 lb boat and trailer with a 4-cylinder pickup rated at 2000 lbs. No brakes on the trailer and the truck stopped OK. The truck stopped the unbraked load so well that one day it jack-knifed.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
... Casita without brakes. There is a guy towing one with a VW New Beetle...
Brakes won't be the problem. In 1971 I towed a loaded U-Haul enclosed trailer 700 miles with my 1968 Beetle. Burned #3 valve, so I got a new 1971 Beetle. A year later I repeated the trip and burned its #3 valve, too.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X 5-speed Manual
34 Posts
Your trailer's construction sounds similar to Jadero's trailer except 2 feet longer, so your trailer could weigh almost 2000 lbs:

The problem with all commercial and rental trailers is their weight, which uses up most of the Forester's capacity before the trailer is loaded, and by themselves put the Forester into the recommended need for trailer brakes and transmission cooler. I favor the 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer which only weighs about 300 lbs, but then it is not enclosed so of limited use.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/IMG_0679.jpg
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the 1700lb figure, but then I crawled around it a bit and found that it's built like a tank. Still, I can't see where I'd be able to shave 1000lbs from it and that's what it would take to put that other one into the 900lb range. Of course, this was a rental agent's guess, not a weigh scale :)

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Here is what I towed 3 weeks ago. :) Quite a large all steel utility trailer. I had it full of stuff to move my girlfriend.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 307 Posts