Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Well, over here The Fozz has a legal pulling limit at 1800Kg. that is if it has brakes ofc. Without it's like 500 I think. So 2000lb should be fine as I see it.
Now I don't suggest pulling anywhere near 1800Kg with the fozz. I just say it's the legal limit on my fozz anyway. I guess those with a little bigger engine is up at 2t. limit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Greetings, elmy, from way over here. Forester tow ratings vary greatly from nation to nation, and I thought the US limits were lowest. My '04 XS (5-speed) is rated for 2,400 lbs with trailer brakes (which I have). Over in Australia, they rate them for 3000+ lbs, IIRC.

I wouldn't want to tow anything larger or heavier than this. But I have about 5,000 miles of successful tow miles that included factors like hot temperatures, high altitudes and long mountain upgrades. Look up places like Berthoud Pass, Wolf Creek Pass and Trail Ridge Road and you'll see where we've been. The Forester has turned out to be more reliable and surefooted than I'd expected. You just have to have patience and use all the available power effectively. That becomes an enjoyable challenge, like race driving at legal speeds! I don't yet know what "trailer sway" feels like.

And some of the credit goes to the Scamp- they're aerodynamic and well-balanced. It's a good balance between the smallest trailer you can think of living in for stretch, and the biggest thing youu'd ever think about towing.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Thx, I figure the US limits are low compared to other land and nations. As I said I would not suggest towing anywhere near the limits that is set. I would go with my logic sense and keep it under the the cars weight. That means not loaded up. So with the fozz weight around 1400-1500Kg, I would stay under those numbers when towing anything. Besides my driver licence limits me to this anyway.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I'm not sure what that means. The hitch weight allowed?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Here the Forester's Towing Capacity is 2400 lbs and the Max tongue weight that the trailer can have is 200 lbs.
So that means the weight the trailer is allowed to have on the hitch...
If so I think it's about the same here as there. I haven't checked but I think it's around 75Kg.

Edit: Second thought thou it seems all the hitches are aftermarket so I think it depends on what type you get installed maybe. Mine is of the locking type so I can remove it if I want too.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Not hooked up at the time of this photo, as I have a reciever with a 2 inch rise on order, but here's my "new" 1979 Apache pop-up trailer with a 17" lift. Or, as it's been dubbed by a friend: "the big brown turd." :lol:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Here's a pic I snapped with my cell cam while riding a couple of weeks ago. 2009 FXT towing 7'x16" trailer with 2001 Yamaha Warrior 350 on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester Diesel XS
71 Posts
Diesel power?

Haven't had a trailer attached yet, but if I'm right with my attempts at converting, the diesel can legally pull 4400lbs over here (Sweden).

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,489 Posts
What do i like to tow, errrrrrr, the dog, and the girlfriend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
any enclosed trailers???

I have a small enclosed trailer that i use to tow my street bike to race. Anybody tow any enclosed trailers? it is a 5x10 aluminum trailer. i'm guessing it is about 800-900 lbs but i might be wrong. it's pretty damn light. only thing that i could see being an issue is wind resistance. i was using my 1998 grand caravan to tow the trailer, but i'd rather use the fxt b/c it has more powa.
if anybody has, post some pics!!

21 - 40 of 307 Posts