Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I pull. 1987 Hydrostream Valero CND Edition with a Johnson 150 GT.

This is where the low-end torque of a boxer engine comes in handy.:rock:

Boat= 625 lbs
Engine= 381 lbs
trailer= 440lbs
total= 1446 lbs

With gear and other stuff, I would say I am roughly in the 1500lbs range. I have no problems yanking it out of the water at the boat launch.:biggrin:

What are you guys pulling?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2005 XS
166 Posts
"Swan" glider trailer.
2,040 lbs with LS1-c/d glider and assorted stuff inside.
180 lbs tongue weight.

2005 XS with 4EAT and additional transmission cooler. Also, 3M window tint.

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
98 Posts
thank you guys for giving me hope as i want a bass boat in the future and was thinking i was going to have to get something bigger and stronger to pull it.

So I say thank you as now i'm not worried about that anymore.

Z

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Don't have a pic, but I've towed a 5x8 trailier loaded several times (750lbs unloaded). From a load of 17 6x8ft fence panels, to loads of shingles...probably over 2000lbs.

As for the clutch, I ended up hurting it by dumping hard on it in order to yank the trailer out from under the load at the landfill (it's a tilt trailer). Of course, the original factory clutch lasted to 135k miles, so it was already well, well used. I just don't do that with the new clutch. :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Tent Trailer

I have pulled a 2300lb (loaded) rental Tent Trailer with my Forester, through the mountain range. Engine did start to bog down on the steeper grades (8-10%) trying to keep it at 65 MPH. Probably would have been better with a Manual Turbo. Other than that, it was great.
[Edit: for reference, I have driven the same Highway with a Ford Econoline 150 Van (7.2L V8 - 12 Passenger class - IIRC) unloaded, and that pig bogged down about the same as the Forester loaded did]

This Photo I am backing into this strange "L" shaped camp site. It was a tight ~80 degree turn, but I got it on my second try. No jack-knifing. I had to tuck the trailer in between the Cemented table and a stump on the other side.

By the way, I have an Electric Brake Control (Prodigy), transmission cooler and was monitoring the Temp with a (Autometer) Tranny Temp Gauge. Here is another photo at a different camp site.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
That's the way to do it (electric brake), for sure.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
10 Posts
Quads!

Ive pulled a steel trailer loaded with three quads. Fortunately the third quad balances out the trailer so there is minimal tounge weight. No problem at 70mph. Its a 05 FXT MT.

·
Registered
2010 rod nocker auto
1,702 Posts
man I wish I could pull my boat with mine, but it's got to be in the 2500-3000 lb range easy. We trailer it with an 06 trail blazer and it can bog it a bit, then again the forester has a lot more HP now and actually better towing gearing as I think we have 3.8 or 3.6 gears in the blazer.

·
Registered
2007 07 FSXT
488 Posts
i pulled my father-in-laws 17 foot ski boat out of the water with no problem this weekend. he figures it is in the 1 ton range with the trailer. it's not like it is a huge boat, but the xt didn't even bog when i pulled it out. i'm stage II and making a decent amount of power, so i guess that helps. the 6 cylinder mazda tribute that he pulls it with struggles more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester
13 Posts
Here is what I pull. 1987 Hydrostream Valero CND Edition with a Johnson 150 GT.

This is where the low-end torque of a boxer engine comes in handy.:rock:

Boat= 625 lbs
Engine= 381 lbs
trailer= 440lbs
total= 1446 lbs

With gear and other stuff, I would say I am roughly in the 1500lbs range. I have no problems yanking it out of the water at the boat launch.:biggrin:

What are you guys pulling?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I will guess that your total rig weight may be closer to 2000#. The best thing to do is take your boat to a truck scale and determine what the weight really is. My boat has similar numbers to yours, (except for the trailer - which was 675#) but the whole rig actually weighed at 2500#. I have three batteries, a trolling motor, 40 gallon gas tank, anchor, chain and line, oil reservoir, tool kit, spare tire, etc. All of this extra adds up fast. A gallon of gas weighs about six lbs. So 40 times 6 = about 240 extra lbs. I think that if you get the true weight , you will be very surprised.

Good news is your car handled it well! :bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^

Was going to do that, but haven't had the time. There is a Flying J next to my place. I think you can use it for free!!!.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
I put a hitch on the Fozzie over two years ago, but didn't tow anything until this past April. My Suzuki Bandit was still under reconstruction, so I borrowed my buddy's H-D Sportster so I wouldn't have to miss out on our vacation to the Deal's Gap area. I would have preferred my bored-out Bandit with the Race Tech suspension, but the Harley was better than not having a bike (barely). I borrowed the 3-rail trailer, too. Bike + trailer = maybe 800 lbs total. She ran just fine, even through the mountainous areas of western NC; there were only a few times I needed to get down into 4th gear, but those were the areas where 18-wheelers were doing 20mph up the hills. Twice on the highway, I made some close lane-changes because I completely forgot the trailer was back there. The rear is low mostly because of the ~300lbs worth of gear and stuff inside the car.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
1 Posts
I tow a caravan its 17" and weighs 1400kg the XT with no tuning tows it very well.
Makes the fuel dissappear but hey, also tow two jetskis on a double trailer almost every weekend to thats about 900kg+.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Off to the races

I do a little bit of racing in the senior class (I'm 48). 2 more years until I can join the super seniors. As one of my buddy likes to say, "You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding..." :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tow a one-ton camp trailer

A 16-foot Scamp fiberglass trailer. It's the main reason I still own a car this big. It's a blast on mountain passes. You really get to work the engine hard, and at legal speeds. But I stumble when I think of what slightly larger SUV could do a better job, except possibly a Tribeca.. and those probably don't come with a manual transmission & engine braking system.

I'll attach a photo if I can make this work.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts