Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: This is the EGR system on my 2005 Forester 2.5x. The 2003 engine that I swapped in does not have an EGR system, so I have to figure out how to adapt a non-EGR motor to an EGR car, without triggering the CEL, because I want cruise control.

I can't seem to fathom what this thing is, or what it does. This is on my 2005 forester X, on the back of the intake manifold on the driver's side.

There is a hard line that threads into this boss:

And if you flip the intake over, that boss clearly does a U-turn and goes straight into that electrical cylinder looking device.

Here is a pic of the hard line, coming off of the driver's side head of the 2005 engine.

The reason I am wondering is I am putting a 2003 long block in my 2005 forester (2005 motor kind of blew up), and the 2003 motor has no such device, only an un-threaded blind hole cast into the head where the hard line goes:

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some searching and managed to find this:

According to this, that is an EGR valve. from my experience w/ diesel VWs, the EGR system is for emissions only, and is detrimental to the performance of the car. Off it goes!

·
Registered
2005 Forester AutoTragic
22 Posts
That is the EGR tube feeding the egr valve. You can drill/tap that portion and use your intake. I would not take it off as it can cause a Check Engine light and depending on the state that you live in, you will not pass emissions.

I assume you are going to do head gaskets on that engine before you drop it in. If you don't feel comfy drilling and tapping the head, you can just swap over that head.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resurrecting my own thread from the dead. I ended up just plugging the hole, so no EGR functionality. The car works fine, but throws a P0400 code for the EGR. After doing some reading, sounds like I have to plumb some sort of ventilation into the EGR bung on the intake.

Problem is, I just can't seem to find consensus on the thread spec of the bung hole!

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The EGR pipe that comes from the head screws into it.

Anyway, I went to the auto parts store yesterday, and they let me try different threads. Turns out the thread in the bung in the intake of my 2005 forester is...

wait for it....

M20x1.5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts