Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 FXT and it has fairly bad brake shudder (rotors warped).
Rather than just getting them turned or replaced with the same, I'd like to have better performance but not have to increase rim size up to 17's etc as I have 3 sets of 16 inch alloy rims.

I read a thread about the Legacy GT turbo brake rotor upgrade on another scoob website, but I'll be darned if I can't find it again.

what's the most cost effective route to take to increased performance, keeping the 16's and not having warping issues again?

BTW I did read all the threads posted in this brake forum section.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Use some better pads. The shudder is most likely pad deposits on the rotors from being heated up and depositing on the rotors when holding the brakes while stopped.

A better set of pads, some decent (blank, not slotted or drilled) rotors, and getting all the slide pins etc greased properly will make everything better.

Most of the brake upgrades that fit under 16" wheels won't give any more braking force, just better modulation. The biggest difference will be pads and tires.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,253 Posts
I bought a 2005 FXT and it has fairly bad brake shudder (rotors warped).
Rather than just getting them turned or replaced with the same, I'd like to have better performance but not have to increase rim size up to 17's etc as I have 3 sets of 16 inch alloy rims.

I read a thread about the Legacy GT turbo brake rotor upgrade on another scoob website, but I'll be darned if I can't find it again.

what's the most cost effective route to take to increased performance, keeping the 16's and not having warping issues again?

BTW I did read all the threads posted in this brake forum section.

Thanks for your help.

Eric
I have the LGT brakes and they will not clear 16" wheels.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have the LGT brakes and they will not clear 16" wheels.

thanks for the info.
I guess I will try and find a good cheap used set of wrx calipers and get some new blank rotors, and braided lines and hawk pads.

How important is it to upgrade to rears?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT - 20G 5MT
53 Posts
I would put the same pads on the rears. There have been lots of threads about uneven brake bias due to mixed and matched pads.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would put the same pads on the rears. There have been lots of threads about uneven brake bias due to mixed and matched pads.
Yeah,for sure on matching front and rear pads, what I was wondering was about up grading the rear rotors/calipers.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
540 Posts
WRX 4 pot calipers fit 16" wheels (I believe) as do Wilwood LBK 4 pot kits. Legacy rear 290mm's must fit under 16" wheels, the fronts are 294mm.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's probably too late for this info, but... it's good info for this title.

TWR had a BBK that fits under the 16's. TWR went out of business and left a handful of owners without replacement rotors. Ken (WRXBrakes in NASIOC) is working on being the source for replacements. If you post a WTB in NASIOC, you will probably get a deal on a set from an owner that doesn't want to deal with replacing the rotors of the two piece type. Ken is still working on the details, but expect to get it resolved soon.

Here are a couple of pix of it installed in the 01RS oem wheel.

Lots of room by the spokes.

About 1/8" to the inside of the 16" wheel. No wheel weights in this area.

Rotor to caliper inside clearance.

Rotor to caliper outside clearance.

The dust shield needs to be bumped in and the corners of the caliper bracket needs to be rounded to clear the dust shield or trim the dust shield. Extra washer on the bolts are needed as well.

[/QUOTE]

Here is the latest link for status.

TWR rotors? - Page 4 - NASIOC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts