2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.......Since they took ignition points away, I've been lost in a sea of electronic poop. Forgot about Google !! Thanks for pointing me.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ Just bought my first can tonight. Car felt like it slipped a tooth on the timing belt again and it started to rough idle. I used about half the can cleaning my MAF (for the first time ever at 99,XXX miles) and it cured all my problems so far. *crosses fingers*

Great stuff.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
^^ Just bought my first can tonight. Car felt like it slipped a tooth on the timing belt again and it started to rough idle. I used about half the can cleaning my MAF (for the first time ever at 99,XXX miles) and it cured all my problems so far. *crosses fingers*

Great stuff.
The first time I did it a year or two ago the improvement was amazing, so now I do it regularly to make sure it doesn't get that bad again (it had a nice black layer over the IAT bulb and everything). I wonder if there are other sensors that can get that dirty and have such a large effect that no one ever bothers to clean. I actually did mine for the same reason, it felt like the timing was off a bit (that "not quite right" feeling) but I had just had the timing belt changed 15-20,000 miles before.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The first time I did it a year or two ago the improvement was amazing, so now I do it regularly to make sure it doesn't get that bad again (it had a nice black layer over the IAT bulb and everything). I wonder if there are other sensors that can get that dirty and have such a large effect that no one ever bothers to clean. I actually did mine for the same reason, it felt like the timing was off a bit (that "not quite right" feeling) but I had just had the timing belt changed 15-20,000 miles before.
EXACTLY. I changed my belt about 10,000 miles ago, and just replaced the tensioner recently and thought it jumped again. Guess not, MAF. I wonder how much of an improvement a brand new one would be.......hmmmm.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) is pretty vital, too, most cars ECU's look at MAF and MAP readings together for electronic spark advance and injector pulse width... as far as adjusting these to the load on the motor at that moment. MAP sensor can't be cleaned though, its a replacer if bad. And the Oxygen sensor(s) which constantly 'sniff' the exhaust stream and tell the ECU if it needs to lean or richen the air:fuel ratio to stay at or close to what is called stoichiometric ratio of air to fuel which is 14.7:1.

·
Registered
99 Forester S MT
27 Posts
Now this is a ressurected thread! ok,I think I understand the differences, but not exactly sure what it looks like. This is a pic of my engine, of the top two sensors is it the sensor on the Left? (red circle around it).

D

F

·
0 Posts
Your Forester doesn't have a MAF sensor, it has a MAP sensor. The MAP sensor contains/is between the top two things circled in the picture, it's right in front of the filter box in the picture.

Also do I Spy an electric bullhorn on the right of the filter box? :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
99 Forester S MT
27 Posts
Your Forester doesn't have a MAF sensor, it has a MAP sensor. The MAP sensor contains/is between the top two things circled in the picture, it's right in front of the filter box in the picture.

Also do I Spy an electric bullhorn on the right of the filter box? :icon_biggrin:
Ahh, thanks!

An electric bullhorn! I wish, nope, that is the siren from the factory alarm system, 125dB of pure noise! (at least when the hood is open with your head under it :icon_rolleyes: )

After scaring the crap out of me when reconnecting the battery from doing some work the engine and also irritating my retired (and miserable :evilatyou:) neighbour I decided to cut the wire to it! no one really pays attention to car alarms anymore but the start disable function still works so good enough for me!

D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts