Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out today with the missus for a day out and been shopping most of the day :( and on the way out and back didnt boot the car once.

We did get stuck in a traffic jam and when we set off again there was a little extra smoke from the exhaust than usual, I didnt think anything of it at the time but I've just been out again and when I got back I could smell burning, so I popped the bonnet!

Theres no obvious signs of anything happening but there was a light white colour smoke coming from around the turbo area.

I've had a look around underneath to see if anything has become attached to the exhaust such as a plastic bag but cant see anything. The smoke doesnt smell like burning oil!

No sign of anything in the oil and its at the same level it was on Sunday last week. No water in the oil either.

Power is still the same, and everything feels okay :confused:

Its not steam either as its dry here at present.

Anyone got any ideas, I know I should look a little more and I will do tommorow but value your views for the present.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,168 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure white smoke would be coolant and not oil related. I think oil smoke is bluer or dark in color. I had a small coolant leak once, there was a pinhole in a small connecting hose. The coolant would only leak when there was some pressure. I ound the source by popping the hood and sitting in the car. I gave it some gas and sure enough, a stream of coolant shot out the pinhole. When I was off throttle, there was no leak.

Did you check your hoses?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, there is a hose particularly close which needs a circlip on it as it does leak occasionally and might be squirting but I doubt it as its been leaky for a few weeks and i've only noticed it today!

I should have waited to post until i'd had a proper look tommorow, but thought somebody might have had some idea of what I whould look for.

Are there any coolant pipes under the heat sheild? Wouldnt have thought so!

mike

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just been and checked my coolant level and it is down a bit on last week! :confused:

I am running synthetic oil which probably needs changing as its about 3000 miles since the last oil change.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Could be a blown headgasket or cracked cylinder head

what does the smoke smell like?

if the smoke is a sweet smell it is coolant

the dohc were plauged with this problem, though you probally dont have the EJ 25?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stop your scaring my wallet!

I'll have a proper look tommorow and see if I can see anything!

Mike

PS the temp gauge is stable as per normal!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
No worries, this doesn't really appear to be that big of problem :p

·
Registered
398 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Blue smoke is oil..

If your running synthetic then it can be white :p

White smoke is coolant in the exhaust
I've always heard blue smoke is the bad stuff...

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously im hoping its something simple. For the sake of my bank Balance, even though I could probably do a turbo swap but a cylinder head gasket especially on a boxer engine is an engine out job isnt it?

mike

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
A head gasket job isn't cheap.. as roo told me. I've been putting it off for awhile and will continue to do so. :p

Probally 800-2000 us dollars

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
poop last time I changed a head gasket it was on a 1978 Ford Fiesta. It cost me £45 and took me 4 hours!

mike

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
A head gasket set costs around 3-4 hundred, depending on brand.. quality.. etc.. and the rest is labor

Is this smoke a constant problem or only under hard acceration?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a trickly, when driven I cant tell if there is smoke, doesnt look like it. I only noticed it cos I opened the bonnet when I got back, cos of the smell and the earlier schmoke from when I was sat in traffic.

See how it goes tommorow, I need to go out first thing, if it blows up - so be it, if it bursts into flames - so be it, if it does nothing - so be it. Take it as it comes!

Mike

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats an interesting page, i'll have a longer read tommorow.

I know that where expecting the worse here and it could be something and nothing, but this article is pretty interesting and the cost of part os nothing as I can get them from my brother in law in Japan!

mike

PS plus there are mods I can do if I need the engine out :D

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
This might be off topic, but in your sig, you did a [/url] tag instead of a
[/img] take at the end of the url. :p

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a really good look around this morning and I cant see anything apart from this cooler pipe which is showing the signs of coolant leakage, but I couldnt see anything spurting out of it when i got back this morning. There was however a light white (Definately white and very light) smoke coming from the area in the picture.

I'm going to see how it goes over the next week and see what happens.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts