Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get WRX struts/springs take offs and want to see what is a good price to pay for them.

Looking at a Nasioc setup that has 37k miles.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
660 Posts
It ranges. I paid $200 even for my WRX takeoffs, but I also got a STI rear sway bar with that. I've seen locals here in NorCal selling sets with about 20k on them for $50-$100 as well. You'll probably want to get some wagon springs if you're going this setup, or you'll have to deal with major butt sag.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I'd say it should be like $250 max for a set of WRX take-offs
Agreed. $250 should also net you a VERY low mileage set. I got mine with about 8-9k miles and wagon springs already installed for $250. Too bad I decided not to use the wagon springs though :\

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Shipping for struts and springs won't be too cheap. You won't be using the springs, so consider that too. You'd be $200 into WRX takeoff struts that won't be ideal for the STi springs, may be a better deal to look for struts better-suited for the springs for that price.

Stan

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Shipping for struts and springs won't be too cheap. You won't be using the springs, so consider that too. You'd be $200 into WRX takeoff struts that won't be ideal for the STi springs, may be a better deal to look for struts better-suited for the springs for that price.

Stan
QFT. I'm now looking for Tokico D-Specs after spending the $250 on the low mileage WRX set, buying aftermarket springs for ~$100, and sending off my springs for a good cause. Should have just spent $400 on a set of Tokico D-Specs and $100 on the springs and be happy with it. Cost difference isn't that major for the amount of time and $$ spent on trying to find that ideal setup.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean the struts are not made for the STI springs? I thought that's what people were running, WRX struts with either WRX springs/wagon springs or STI springs.

Neoshi, u selling the WRX take offs and wagon springs?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
the WRX strut is a bit underdampened for STI springs, but people still like the ride.

i might sell the struts if i can find a decent set of tokico d specs. but the wagon springs are no longer with me. gave them to silke and greg earlier this week.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
They'll work, they just may seem under-dampened with the STi springs.

There is however a sweet spot between the two that myself and a few others have found. The slightly stiffer dampened WRX-spec KYB GR-2's with STi springs gives you a softer ride than the STi struts but a stiffer ride than the WRX struts.
Stan posted a killer deal on the GR-2's considering they're $400 for a new set.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
They'll work, they just may seem under-dampened with the STi springs.

There is however a sweet spot between the two that myself and a few others have found. The slightly stiffer dampened WRX-spec KYB GR-2's with STi springs gives you a softer ride than the STi struts but a stiffer ride than the WRX struts.
Stan posted a killer deal on the GR-2's considering they're $400 for a new set.
imo the stock sti springs are too soft for stock sti struts (it seems like they feel better with aftermarket springs), but too stiff for wrx struts.

Also imo wrx struts seem too underdamped for the forester in general, although mine are pretty old now. I think I'm going to go with koni inserts or d-specs next with either a ground control setup, eibach prokit, or the sti wagon pink springs (wagon fitment, close to sti spring rate iirc).

The wrx stuff is nice but really didn't give the increase in stiffness I was hoping for, my STI rsb did more for handling than the wrx takeoffs.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
sorry for totally trying to jack this thread.. but im seriously interested in doin the wrx sedan strut/wagon spring take-off after winter.. already got wagon springs so im wondering if i should follow thru with this...

hows the ride quality n handling compared to forester specific kyb-gr2s n swift springs? any clearance issues?

i know this has been covered before.. im just lookin for up-to-date fresh responses

if the responses i get arent what im lookin for.. i just might have wrx wagon springs for sale :icon_wink:

*EDIT - ok i guess i typed this too slow seein all the other responses almost answering my questions...
do the wrx spec-kyb gr2s or tokico d-specs n maybe some stiffer aftermarket springs for wrx sedan/wagon lower the car more than the stock wrx take-offs?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
you'll be about 2.5" lower, so depending on the roads you face and the driveways you conquer, there may be clearance issues, but nothing that you'll get stuck on, just a few scrapes of the plastic tray and air diverters in front of the front wheels. the rear springs won't hold up to cargo as well as the forester springs do and you'll notice sag under load. it's not bad, and slightly softer than the stock forester ride with the lower height to help kill roll a bit.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
660 Posts
Nice score on those wrx wagon takeoffs Leo.

As for clearance issues, I'm on WRX sedan struts and wagon springs, and it's definitely low if you have mudflaps. Or if you have a front lip. The ride is ok, not as nice as swifts on stock forester struts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts