Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 IMPREZA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First time post!
I recently bought a 2007 forester that has a bad engine (spun bearing, evidence by hard to turn over and metal in oil) i was gonna drop a 2.0 JDM engine in it and move on my way. i found out quickly that the 2006/07 they changed the heads with variable cams, and JDM or used engines start at 1500 bucks! ! have a good 2000 SOHC non turbo forester short block sitting on the shelf, can i bolt the 2007 heads and manifold on and be on my way? if not, what year short blocks will work? Thanks! Ian

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
That 2000 single cam shortblock should be just fine. I would cross check its compression ratio versus your 2007 SOHC, so you don't get any nasty surprises (the NA motors like higher compression, within reason, if it drops compression you will have a dog of an engine)
With a spun bearing I would be weary of re-using the heads without disassembly and a good cleaning. Lots of oil passages, especially with the variable cam timing. Those solenoids may be plugged or ruined too.
As with most things head related, would not be a bad idea to have them skimmed at a machine shop.

·
Registered
2008 IMPREZA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS! i still may look around for a decent 2006-10 shortblock, if anyone has one PM me, in central texas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts