Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner claims 30k miles on it. Looks like its off a tuned STI since new (5k miles). On one page he states his mods as:

invida catless divorced downpipe v3
p&l motorsports quad tip catback exhaust
labonte motorsports stage 3 meth/water/alk injection kit

Then later he is selling his car as:

Completely Built Internals 2.5L H4 Engine can handle up to 550+ WHP
The high performance fully built engine has 5,500 miles on it.

Includes and is not limmitted to
Morso Oil Pan
Eagle Rods
Wisco Pistons
Pinned Bearings
Ceramic Coated

Seems like a car that was driven but well taken care of. I know I can get VF48's all day long for $600 with low miles on them. Is it worth buying one off a tuned car at all ? I'd be targetting 300/300 on the dyno with my tune, nothing more. Wondering at what point its saving some $$ vs paying more for a low mileage turbo

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
If your willing to spend $600, I'd look for an 18g. It will meet your power goals much easier and will hold much more boost to redline.

If your going VF series, I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a turbo.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
IMO it'll be hard for him to get more than $300 for that turbo given it's history.

Stan

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, all good points. Now lets say I can get it cheap . What are the risks if the turbo fails, can it damage the motor or any other expensive parts ? Again, no point destroying a motor in an effort to save $300.

If I went aftermarket I'd probably go with an HTA68. Its a mid level turbo with quick spool that seems to suit my needs.

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
287 Posts
I was doing some searching on the TD05s and there are some pretty good deals out there, or so it seems. I looked at the vendor pages on here to get my start in my search. I am in the same boat as to go VF or TD05. I am always a little concerned when it comes to used turbos, specially if you cannot see it before you buy it!

I ended up finding some more information on NASIOC site too, since having an 07 STi at one time, it's a good starting point because you can only go up from a VF series in the STI.

How much is the least expensive new 18g ?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ See for that money I'd rather spend $300 more to buy a new one, no problems, no worries.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The worst case scenario with a used turbo is it has too much shaft play, the wheel collides with the housing, and you get debris in the turbo. Other possibility is the seals fail completely and you lose oil/oil pressure.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
^^ See for that money I'd rather spend $300 more to buy a new one, no problems, no worries.
I stole it for 650. Most of them new these days are 900. Right at 18G money

The worst case scenario with a used turbo is it has too much shaft play, the wheel collides with the housing, and you get debris in the turbo. Other possibility is the seals fail completely and you lose oil/oil pressure.
This would suck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts