Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking at getting my first forester, and i had my sights on the new 03-04 models preferably a manual. However all i have come across is mainly automatics in my area.
So my question is would you go for a New forester with higher mileage (03-04 with about 120,000 miles) or a Older forester with lower mileage (00'-01' with about 80,000 miles)
And they are all in the 5 - 6k price range
Thanks for the help
sorry for the bombardment of questions
-Brian

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
Keep in mind a Forester with 105K miles needs the timing belt replaced. In addition, the earlier models, thru '03, had head gasket issues & that's an expensive repair! :icon_eek:

When I started searching for my next Forester, about a two years ago, I wanted an '04 XT (I prefer the earlier styling) with very low miles. IMO, low miles = less wear & tear. It's surprising how many very low mile older Foresters are out there, but they were either too far away, sold before I got there, or there was something not right. I'm very picky, so after a year of looking, I settled on an '07 FSXT with 21K miles... still would have liked an '04 XT. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input bobby, I myself would really like the 04' model. The only reason i was considering older is because I can't find many/any newer model with a manual tranny, so i may consider checking out this 04' 2.5xt with an auto tranny but it has 120,000 miles on it...

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
XT with an auto trans is not bad at all, I was quite surprised the first time I drove one.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts