Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was thinking about modifying that button once I obtained it [depending on what it was for] to turn on/off some exterior driving lights [i.e. Hella 500ff]. Right now, it is just a blank from the factory.

Anybody know what that button would be for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
I believe that button is for electrically folding mirrors, if equipped. I am fairly sure I read that in my manual somewhere. I don't have them so I can't be sure.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! There is a touring model for sale by my house so I will swing by and check that.

If I could get just the switch [oem one] then wire in the aux driving lights into it, that might be pretty sweet and clean.

Anyone else have to say that it is definitely not the folding mirrors switch and something else? Anyone with more info on it if it is the power folding mirrors switch?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Where would one get that switch [besides a junkyard]?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the user "Subtle-solutions" deals with jdm parts. Could ask him?
Unfortunately, they have the worst customer service and I will not deal with them, recommend them, or in any way endorse them. Not worth the headache.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, there were a few threads on here about it. A very public dispute between a customer and Subtle. They tried to screw him for a few weeks...the customer gave them several chances then was forced to vent on here. That is when a few others joined in the conversation and Subtle made a lot of very immature, rude, and unprofessional insults and attacks at forum members. Real cheap shots. It was embarassing. Anywho, it took a few weeks of that for Subtle to square up with the customer, not even make it worth thier time. Then it turns out, they were privately trying to screw them again while publicly making up to the customer on here....the customer posted the emails and it was too much. So, I am done with them and will not endorse them.

It was the opposite of reputable customer service.

EDIT: I am wondering how long until they comment about this :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for4me, nice work! Did you use only the included wiring with your lights? If so, which lights were they? Nice, clean install you did!

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Added dash switch

My switch was just another convenient way to turn on the dome light. I was pointing out that the mounting area is easy to get to, for adding any flat surface switch. Originally, I mounted my switch below the mirror switch, but I kept hitting it with my knee, so don't try that!
By the way, if the switch blank area is actually for power folding mirrors, you may find the switch is a momentary operation type, which would not work for your purpose.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Automatic
219 Posts
My buddy who has a '05 Legacy GT has the same button in the discussed location for heated mirrors. May want to look into a subaru parts log and look up the 05-09 legacy GT for the part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts