Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here's the deal. My wife and I were recently presented with this and are having a hard time making a decision about the whole thing.

My folks have decided to scale down their fleet of Jeep vehicles. In turn, one of their Jeeps is up for a new owner.....us.

The catch? She (Mom) wants to trade straight across, drive the Forester for awhile and then sell it.

Both my wife and I are highly considering it. We love the Fozzie but the Jeep is so much more stout, comfortable, and roomy. We have dumped quite a bit of cash into our A/V system in the Forester but that can be swapped over I suppose. But gosh darn it, we love the Forester. Its strange to love a car this much as we have owned many vehicles over the years and never formed an attachment like with the Subaru.

Below are minor details, please chime in what you think. As I said we are having a difficult time coming to a solid decision and the deal presented to us has a "limited time offer" as my Dad put it.

If we go though with this, we would be Subaru-less and that kind of bothers me. We would be Jeep'ing x2 since we already own one Jeep, although not near as nice as Mom's Grand.

Ours...
2003 2.5x with just about 49k

Hers...
2005 Grand Cherokee with 38k

Both cars are solid and clean, nothing wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Jeep/Chrysler automatic transmissions are problematic, not to say don't do it but do a little background check. Don't just fall in love with it because it says "Jeep" on it and evaluate it just as though you were buying it.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Your '03 only has 53k on it?!?!?!

See, I love Jeeps. The real ones, where the top comes off. Never liked the Grands, so this would be an easy decision for me. However, go with whichever one you like more.

Is this idea hers or yours?

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeep/Chrysler automatic transmissions are problematic, not to say don't do it but do a little background check. Don't just fall in love with it because it says "Jeep" on it and evaluate it just as though you were buying it.
Jeeps have been a part of our family for as long as I can remember. Dad owns 4 as of now and we have owned everything from CJ5's/7's to J10's to 80's Grands and 90's Cherokee's.

Anyway, from what I have learned and gathered over the years, the most problematic transmission's were in the 90's.

Your '03 only has 53k on it?!?!?!

See, I love Jeeps. The real ones, where the top comes off. Never liked the Grands, so this would be an easy decision for me. However, go with whichever one you like more.

Is this idea hers or yours?
49k:icon_wink: We have only put 10k on it in three years:biggrin:

Her idea for the swap, but we have always hinted when they were ready to dump it, we wanted it. We have two school age children and the Subaru seems to get smaller everyday:icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Either trade, then sell the Jeep for a new Forester, or decline the offer.

I love the Grand Cherokee. I still regret not getting the 98 5.2L I passed up for a 95 Legacy L (4EAT/FWD). I like the WJ also. Nice trucks. BUT, the automatics are iffy at best, and I just wouldn't trust my family in one. The 4L is a beast, but anemic in such a heavy truck, and the V8's suck fuel like it's going out of style.

I'd rather have an SH than a WJ, honestly.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, fuel costs have been at the forefront of our decision. Mom's Grand has the V8 so I figure we would get about 12 mpg's. Thanks to OR and ethanol, that number may be less under certain circumstances

I'm kind of doubtful in saying this... but I'd be tempted to go with the Jeep.
Has your MY03 had any signs of head gasket issues? if not, there'd always be that little gremlin hiding in the back closet making me worried about things.
No signs of that yet, but also another consideration for us

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Get the Jeep, sell, and get the SH. Then, you get to keep your old foz in the family, and you'll have the latest and greatest. Nothing against Jeep's...they're freaking workhorses for sure. But if you dump the Cherokee for a new foz (funds permitting), you'll get the AWD, freaking great fuel economy, and the roominess you're looking for.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would bring up selling the Jeep as a joke around your folks just to feel them out. They might see that as an insult if you turn around and sell what they consider a gift.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Just going off what you have said....

I thought this was a no brainer at first, I mean the Jeep is only 2 years newer then your Forester....but after checking local prices I see that it is worth about $5,000 more.

But, swapping your Forester for the Jeep and then selling the Jeep and putting that money towards a new Forester still leaves you with a bank note? Unless you have the cash to make up the difference? I don't like this idea.

What is the latest on the Chrysler/Jeep business viability? I tried searching and can not find a definitive answer? This worries me...

So, keep the frigging Forester, will ya? hehe.

just my 2 cents, which isn't worth 1 cent any more...

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely dont like the idea of carrying a bank note on an SH. We have somehow become accustomed to not having car payments in the last ten years, have always bought our vehicles with cash and it is really a nice thing not to worry about yet another hand in our pocket book. I *think* we can swing a newer Foz if we sold the Jeep and took a few bucks out of savings.

Thanks so far you guys, great advice from all of you. I knew posting my conundrum here would prove to be very helpful:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts