Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very much a Subaru noob, have asked who the work was done by and how does it have an MoT with no cat...... Still waiting for reply

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,045 Posts
The guy either fits a cat for the MOT, then takes it off afterwards, or he has a friendly MOT tester who looks the other way for imports or emissions in general....Or Stevie Wonder has done the MOT, which might be a concern.....

That second photo shows a huuuuge panel gap between bonnet and the headlights/grill. I'd be concerned over front end damage....... Could just be the angle of the photo, but I'd be looking over that thoroughly.

Seeing budget Roadstone Eurovis tyres fitted is a bit interesting for a performance car

No mention of service history, undersealing or mileage.in Km or Miles.
Cars in Japan aren't undersealed as they don't put salt on the roads but something else so they generally don't rust, but you need undersealing for UK roads with the salt we put down or it'll rust in 5 minutes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for that, MoT history shows its miles, Does seem odd with tyre after the amount of money spent on it, The garage selling it said the work was all dont by the owner

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
151 Posts
Just a very minor thing, but ICP droplinks doesnt really mean anything! ICP ( import car parts.co.uk) sell genuine Subaru droplnks at a discount, or cheaper pattern parts, camt understand why it gets a mention in the ad, no different to saying " subaru oil filter fitted", or ICP oil filter fitted! Dodgy.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,045 Posts
Considering the last MOT was on the 23rd November 2018
I wonder if the owner got shot of it before it was due the next one?
~100K on a 2.5 Turbo engine would have me looking for signs of head gasket failure. If it's already been done, that's a plus.
I would be asking about timing belt change history too.

With coilovers, I'd want to take it for a drive to see how harsh they were.

Considering what other FSTIs have sold for over the years, I think he's asking too much with so many question marks.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,416 Posts
I wouldn't buy it.... If you're in the market for an FSTi then get an unmolested one and do any mods you desire from there. With no milage stated nor interior pics then what's the seller hiding. It doesn't take much to do a proper ad stating all and with eBay you can add 12 pics. Also 17" wheels? I thought the FSTI had 18's as standard?
I can vouch for the coilies though as have the same on mine. Great!

I got mine for just £7k and with 80,000miles on it as a reference. Totally unmolested with only an upgraded Prodrive rear arb, all service receipts and belt and pulleys just done. I did get some extras in with the price like another set of wheels and tyres and a PSI3 monitor (which I sold for £300) so guess I only paid £6700.

I also think personally the engine bay is gawdy with far too much red paint. The owner might have gone and done the flipping intake with crinkle VHT paint as they had the red thing going.

@TMX I think the second pic only has the bonnet on the catch and not closed properly.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,365 Posts
I wouldn't buy it.... If you're in the market for an FSTi then get an unmolested one and do any mods you desire from there. With no milage stated nor interior pics then what's the seller hiding. It doesn't take much to do a proper ad stating all and with eBay you can add 12 pics. Also 17" wheels? I thought the FSTI had 18's as standard?
I can vouch for the coilies though as have the same on mine. Great!

I got mine for just £7k and with 80,000miles on it as a reference. Totally unmolested with only an upgraded Prodrive rear arb, all service receipts and belt and pulleys just done. I did get some extras in with the price like another set of wheels and tyres and a PSI3 monitor (which I sold for £300) so guess I only paid £6700.

I also think personally the engine bay is gawdy with far too much red paint. The owner might have gone and done the flipping intake with crinkle VHT paint as they had the red thing going.

@TMX I think the second pic only has the bonnet on the catch and not closed properly.
Yeah what a steal you had !!!
But before we cast a bad deal on this ,
1/ the 103 k could be in kilometres
2/ its been mapped by engine ruiner (tuner)
3/ how many mods were done here and how many in japan .but either way "if" the motor is good it could be a bargain .Also the 17" wheel choice could be the tyre available to that size and replaced as a matter of course from the importer

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
278 Posts
Last MOT which ran out today said 96k miles, so would assume the 103k is miles... unless the MOT station cocked up.

Mikey where are you based?

·
Registered
2004 Forester STi
63 Posts
Last MOT which ran out today said 96k miles, so would assume the 103k is miles... unless the MOT station cocked up.

Mikey where are you based?
One of my other cars is still in KM, & every year the MOT station have recorded it in miles, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
I'm sure I recognise that car from somewhere; maybe Facebook?

·
Registered
2005 Sti manual
106 Posts
That second photo shows a huuuuge panel gap between bonnet and the headlights/grill. I'd be concerned over front end damage....... Could just be the angle of the photo, but I'd be looking over that thoroughly.
I think the bonnet is just popped up there! Cheap tyres might have just been put on for the sale, why spend hundreds on bigger brand if you're selling the car soon?
Go have a look, get a feel for it. Are the garage selling it for themselves or for the owner? Would be nice to see paperwork to piece together what/when things were done. Find out as much about it's life as you can, quite likely it's popped up on here or one of the other forums at some point.
Scoobybits sold a friends dads car recently, think they know their stuff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers all

I am starting to wonder if it would be better to look for one that "looks" like and sti, as i am a bit worried about the boxer engine more than anything else, i seem to have read more negative info about them than posative, really dont know what to do, I think you can get a JDM twinscroll 5 speed? i really dont want to go down the auto route, apart fro a bigger IC, Exhaust, suspension, what else am i not getting if i dont buy an STI? mechanialy point of view?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
273 Posts
Cheers all

I am starting to wonder if it would be better to look for one that "looks" like and sti, as i am a bit worried about the boxer engine more than anything else, i seem to have read more negative info about them than posative, really dont know what to do, I think you can get a JDM twinscroll 5 speed? i really dont want to go down the auto route, apart fro a bigger IC, Exhaust, suspension, what else am i not getting if i dont buy an STI? mechanialy point of view?
There is such a thing as a Cross Sport with 5 speed manual box and 2 litre engine, but they are thin on the ground.

By now, the age of the vehicle and the way it has been maintained is probably more likely to influence whether the engine has problems. New head gaskets are a relatively inexpensive fix - many BMWs are simply “replace”. A colleague’s M5 was over £10k....and that was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cross Sprot looks good, a couple of manuals on Ebay, the couple of 2k i save comapered to Sti prices, could be spent else where

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
278 Posts
The head gasket thing is mentioned again 🤔.

I've seen people say it's a particularly "simple" job that takes a bit of effort etc, but is this something that anyone gets done at a particular stage? Or just wait until the inevitable failure?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
269 Posts
One of my other cars is still in KM, & every year the MOT station have recorded it in miles, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
I'm sure I recognise that car from somewhere; maybe Facebook?
Yeah its advertised quite often in the FB group, either by the owner or the garage/importer

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
273 Posts
The head gasket thing is mentioned again 🤔.

I've seen people say it's a particularly "simple" job that takes a bit of effort etc, but is this something that anyone gets done at a particular stage? Or just wait until the inevitable failure?
Ignore it/wait. It may never happen. On the plus side, your XT is making around 230hp, so less cylinder pressure than a tuned motor.

Quite possible that something prior makes it more prone to fail (like a rad split). Also, don’t forget there are two types of failure:
1. Between outside of head/cylinder and waterways. Drips slowly into the underbelly pan.
2. Between combustion chamber and waterways.

My wife's Outback had #1 done when drips picked up on a service when under warranty. Dealer said it would go on for years dripping and likely never deteriorate, but dealers do them anyway. Revenue stream I guess, but I would imagine these go down as “head gasket failure” when in reality that are just a minor leak.

Oh...and it’s a simple job if you tinker with engines. If not, I would guess at a day’s work??

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
278 Posts
@poffer
Thanks mate! Certainly not much of an engine tinkerer here... not that involved at least! Replaced the EGR valve on my previous car - Focus, but that is the extent.

It's more what I've seen YouTube garages and "professionals" comments here and there..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts