Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
I just picked up Bosch Icon at Carquest with $15 rebate each. EXCELLENT performance thus far. Smooth, no chatter and cleaner than clean. Fairly spendy though, but very good winter/snow/ice performance as well.

Got ANCO arc/beam style blades on my Silverado, aren't worth $2

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,944 Posts
I've always used "conventional" Trico Teflon Blades. I change them out (fronts) once a year, after the summer heat, just before the rains start. In between changes when it starts wiping poorly, I remove blade insert, flip it & reinsert it. It's like putting on new blades. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
boneless? wha?
+1 :icon_question:

I get cheap replacements every 10-12 months. Florida weather will quickly destroy whatever wipers you put on your vehicle. No point getting expensive blades down here. Just change out the cheap ones a little more frequently. They work OK, even in tropical storms (or weak hurricanes).

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Considering above comment, cheap blades (e.g., Anco) will do just fine in most situations if you replace them often.

However, in my [limited] experience Bosh Icons work a lot better in extreme conditions, as they (1) do not freeze solid (remain flexible), and accumulate less crap overall; (2) hug the windshield at high speed. Worth it even at full price. Will see how long they last tough.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
320 Posts
I just picked up Bosch Icon at Carquest with $15 rebate each. EXCELLENT performance thus far. Smooth, no chatter and cleaner than clean. Fairly spendy though, but very good winter/snow/ice performance as well.

Got ANCO arc/beam style blades on my Silverado, aren't worth $2

$15 rebate?!?!?!?!?!?!? My SF came with Icons but, for that price I will grab some new ones and a set for the gh's Jetta too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I swear by the Bosh Icons, they easily last twice as long as others for me. As well this is in Montreal weather, which is actual weather. So all kinds of rain, snow and ice. Then my rain-x fluid which eats up cheap rubber, and the Icons go a good full year without issue.

Look at it this way, there's an option that'll last twice as long, never be affect by ice in the hinges, not lift at any speed on the HWY (like crappy winter wipers) and only cost you a bit more (not double). I get in cars of others once in a while and see the no rain-x fluid / regular wiper combo and think *** I can't see anything!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
I really like Bosch Excel standard design blades and use year-round, but we don't get much snow or ice here. That would mandate beam or booted blades imho.

I tried a couple different brands of beam designs once, but I thought they were more visually noticeable and never really got used to them. The one on the back of the '00 was an Anco of some type and it didn't hug the curve good enough.

Now on my '04, I got a rear arm from a late '90s outback/legacy in a junkyard so I can put standard blades on it and not use that goofy plastic arm from Subaru. The key to getting good wipe with standard blades it to get ones with extra "segments". I believe I have a Rain-X 17" on there now, which is not as good as the Bosch but has the extra segments to hug the curved window at the top and bottom. I know it is time to replace the wiper blades when the one on the back starts skipping when it first starts wiping. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
I like my chicken thighs boneless. Wiper blades? The SH Forester aero wipers pwn the competition and fit on all earlier Foresters too.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
For the winter I absolutely love the michelin beam style wipers. They're cheaper than the competition, the rubber is durable and holds up to wiping ice, and they work great even in the rain. Only downside is the last inch or so of the wiper won't always get the windshield since they have hard plastic caps on the ends.

For the summer I've been using the 09 forester aero wipers. They're wipe in rain better than just about any other wiper I've used. Need to pick up a new set of blades for them before I put them back on this summer.

On the gf's jeep and my friend's cars I always put the michelin beam type, as the forester aero wipers wont fit lol.

·
Registered
:(
495 Posts
PIAA silicone wipers FTW! We have had the same set on the WRX for over 2 years! They still wipe perfectly with zero streaking or noise. They also come with a cleaner for your windsheild to use before install that takes all the grime, rubber remnants from old blades and contaminants off the windshield to maximize it's use.

I bought my Fozz with the Rain-X Latitude wipers and they are TERRIBLE. They were new when the guy put them on when I got the car too. A lot of hazing and streaking. Not to mention the bottom right corner of the windsheild doesnt even get touched by the blades! =/

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
I have the "boneless" ones on my forester and love them. There is only one problem I have with them, and it might be limited to the set I purchased only, but the passenger side wiper blade doesn't curve to the window completely at the far right side of the window so it doesn't wipe all of it. Now I just wish I could figure out how to get them onto my rear wiper.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
I just bought 2 sets of Bosh Icon blades for both my Forester and my wife's Mazda 3. We both like them a lot and she says to me, "I didn't know wipers could actually look cool. But these do."

I bought them on Amazon with free shipping and they have the link to the $15 mail-in rebate ($15 per pair, up to 2 rebates per household).

They averaged out to $17/blade, so at $34 - $15 MIR = $19. Figured that's what cheap-o ones cost so I was all for it.

For the record, a buddy of mine bought the Rain-X ones and likes those. I typically put Rain-X on my windshield about once or twice during the winter and it helps both the window and the blades (old blades) from making any noise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts