Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be fun...
Subaru has been around in the US for over 50 years now.

What was your first Subie?

I doubt it could have been much earlier than mine, as they started importing them in very small quantities only the year before.

Mine was a white 1969 Subaru 360 Van.
It had a two cylinder, two stroke, 25 horsepower 356 cc engine with direct oil injection via a separate oil tank.
(A big step forward from the mix your own two stroke gas and oil routine)

I spent a week driving around each day breaking in the engine, and I don't think it took a dollars worth of fuel.

It was a pretty amazing vehicle - I once did a U turn inside my friend's two car garage!
Well past its rated capacity, I was able to (unsafely) drive it with 8 people in the car... where were the Guinness Books folks back then...

I found this site for pics of my van model, but not of my specific vehicle:

Subaru 360 specs and history in the USA

So what was YOUR first Subaru?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 Automatic
437 Posts
My first Subaru is my present, 2017 Forester Touring 2.5. I now have 14,000miles on it. At age 75, I totally consider this Subaru the best car I've ever owned! To say the least, I'm sold!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
56 Posts
1999 outback sport had too much fun spent TOO much money making it more fun. Stupid tree that killed 4wheeled baby.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 FXT
1,646 Posts
A blue 1997 Outback Sport. Loved that car and the 2.2L. Drove it on the beach and drove it in the NJ Pine Barrens.

After putting 75k on it I replaced it with a 2003 WRX Wagon that was stolen, thrashed, recovered and repaired. Traded that for my FXT and trying to decide what to do next.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XTi 5 speed manual
323 Posts
A couple of my buddies used to have Brat's but I didn't get a Subaru until much later. A used 2001 Forester. Then the addiction began another 2002 for the g/f then a Baja, then a 2010 STi, then a 2006 STi, then another Baja, then finally I found the car I have been looking for the FSXTi :)

·
Registered
2018 Forester
49 Posts
Mine was a 1986 Subaru wagon, light blue. It was a fine car. Traded for a new Toyota 4X4 pickup in 1988, had first child 1989, child car seat would not fit, so traded the truck for an 89 Corolla station wagon. Also a good rig with front wheel drive, but not as quite as good on snow as the Subie.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
256 Posts
My very first Subaru was a 1982 GL wagon/hatchback, with a 1.6L and the 4 spd manual. I got fwd only, because their advertised 43 mpg hwy was my goal. And I actually got that (in the days before ethanol). Imagine, 35 years ago, and I was getting 43 mpg!

However, what I wasn't expecting, and also got, was a great car to take me up into the mountains. Prior to 1982, most American cars were rwd, and handled like crap in snow. The GL was my first fwd. I drove many a trip with it up to Mammoth Lakes from Ventura, Ca., to go skiing. When up in the Sierra's, with chains on, that baby took me up steep switchbacks on every snow condition imaginable. As I recall, the only time I got stuck, was when I bottomed out on +/- 6" of new snow.

Had it until 1998, incurring only routine maintenance and the replacement of the wear items that were expected. Back in 1982 their selling point was that they were "inexpensive, and built to stay that way". That was certainly my experience. Loved that car.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
21 Posts
First Subaru I ever owned was a 2005 Legacy 2.5i. It was a great car, it handled great and the gas mileage was REALLY good. I drove it 1,000 miles in the summer (AC on) at 80mph loaded up with stuff and still got 32.3 mpg. I totaled it when I rear ended someone and got $7k from insurance when I paid $8.5k for it.

My parents owned a first gen legacy wagon, then 2 second gen sedans when I was much younger. My mom has driven Subarus exclusively for the last 10 years. A Legacy and 2 Foresters.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
6,876 Posts
Our first Subaru was a white 98L. I week later I bought a white 98S. We are still driving the S.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
6,876 Posts
Love that color Baja.

·
Registered
2017 base model manual 6 speed
1,254 Posts
I got my first Subaru after I loved my friend's 87 wagon 4WD with adjustable air suspension.
It was a red 85 GL 10 fwd and 5mt.
I bought it with 77,000 miles in 1996 and sold it in 2000 with 144,000 to a friend of mine who destroyed two months later.
The best mpg were 33 but I did not complain with an average of 29-30.
The only thing that it needed was a clutch at 95,000 and replace part of the muffler from the engine to the cat.
Never left me stuck in snow. After 16 years I am back to Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
68 Posts
I had pre-ordered a Chevy Vega that was to be waiting for me when I came home from overseas on leave. The Vega (in hindsight most fortunately) had not arrived at the dealership and they shrugged when asked when it might arrive.

I went to the Rambler/AMC dealer and saw an unusual looking (ugly) car. It was the only Subaru they had on the lot. After a test drive I drove off with a 1972 DL. There was something different about that car that.

Post military and college it was a great car until it got hit by a DUI in a huge Chevy sedan.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts