Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What was your first car?

So I always like this question. Post up your first car. Make/model/condition etc.... a pic would be even better!

My first.... 68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe. Metallic Dark Teal with Ivy Gold interior

Did a rebuild with my dad on an Impala Straight Six to put in (He would NOT allow a V8..lol). Complete with plum purple valve cover and accessories.

Since then have had over 20 VWs (learned how to do vert tops so bought and sold rabbits and cabbys) 2 Sciroccos, Coraddo, lots of GTIs Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, 2 Jettas Mk2 and Mk3, Vanagon pop top.....

Also had a few CRX si's... a 92 SVX Lsl... I adored a BMW 89 325is for a long while....

so here I am... back with Subies!!! And hopefully content with my car =P

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
First car I drove was a 1974 Buick Skylark. First car I owned was 1983 mazda 626 2 door.

·
Registered
176 Posts
1998 Dodge Neon SOHC 2.0L

It was given to my as a gift from my cousins because they knew I needed a car. Had I had a choice... I would have obviously gone for a Subaru Forester. :< But it's my car and I accept it for what it is. :) Right now it's sitting in the drive way because the battery is dead and the heater/AC barely works (yay winter). The front bumper is so battered up it looks like I run over bicyclists on a daily basis. Merging onto the high way, I NEED A RAMP or I don't feel confident in merging. My parents can't be bothered to buy a new battery for it and I don't want to have to use any money on it until I absolutely have to. So now I drive the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (gas guzzler) since I don't know how to drive the manual 2008 Toyota Corolla. After all, I do plan to buy a used Forester or new one when I find one that suits my desires and bank.

What irritates me is that my cousins are Asian and they're on my dad's side. My dad's family network always buy Asian cars (Toyota, Subaru, etc.). Why did they have to buy a Dodge NEON of all cars? :<

It's kind of scary though. The only way I'd buy a new car is when 1.) I have the money to pay all up front (if not half of it if I'm really desperate) and when 2.) the Dodge Neon physically can't be driven. That would mostly be due to a crash if not the engine just dropping dead. A crash in a 1998 Dodge Neon (depending on speed, obviously) would leave me severely injured at crash test speeds. :< And I seriously can't total the family car because it's the FAMILY car. =P

TL;DR MY NEXT CAR WILL BE A SUBARU FORESTER. Or the world is going to end. :mob:

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
387 Posts
1970 Volkswagen Type III Squareback. Bought it in 1992 for $1000 cash (the guy wanted $1350 but I told him $1000 was all I could pay for it and he said OK). It was a wonderful car and I drove it for 6 years until I sold it and bought a 1988 Honda Civic. That was a pretty good car (not as good as the VW) for 7 years until I got rear-ended and the car was totalled. Then it was a 1991 Honda Civic Wagon which was better in a lot of ways, and then it got sold a year later and I drove my wife's old 1991 Corolla LE sedan which was great too. Traded that one in on the 2009 Subaru Outback Sport which so far has been a super car. :Banane35:

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
First vehicle I operated was a 1985 GMC Safari minivan with the 2.8L V6. The first vehicle I really 'drove' was a 1984 GMC Jimmy with the 2.8L V6 and manual transmission. The first vehicle I owned was a 1995 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L 4cylinder, which was tolerable only because of the manual transmission and the 4.10 rear axle.

GM lost a 3rd generation loyal customer.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
In 1979 I got a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass with 65,000 on the odo. Not a 442, just a regular old Cutlass Supreme.

·
Registered
2002 Forester XS
57 Posts
1978 Datsun 120Y automatic sedan.

It had 86000 km on it when I got it in '99 and 135000km when rust and stricter roadworthy inspections got the better of it in 2003. This includes a trip Sydney - Snowy Mountains - Melbourne - Adelaide - Sydney.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
My first vehicle was a 97 Saturn SC2. It was loaded, leather, cd player, sunroof everything that they came with. I loved it. Got it my senior year of high school. Bought it with 30k miles on it and it finally died on me with 175k on it. I still miss it (well not it's problems). Got really good gas mileage too. Actually pretty fun to drive, only weighed as much as a Miata.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT 5MT
739 Posts
'73 Celica - wonderful 4-speed, 50/50 weight distribution and the little 165-13 tires made me the car control king! The balance and communication would let me dance like no other car I've driven (okay, the first MR2 was similar) Great car! I should have died sooo many times but we pulled though!
Only mods were a cold air feed, exhaust cut-out, and quad Cibie lamps plus a pair of Oscar + lamps.

Then a '79 Cherokee Chief with 360 ci, 4-speed, and the HD Off-Road suspension...

Next the '84 Mazda 626 2-door like Nasarog had. Mine was gold and had Cibie (9 lamps!), Recaro, Koni, Suspension Techniques, Blaupunkt, Fosgate, Enkei, Energy, braided lines, brakes from the later turbo model, Mazda Racing dam and wing, and tuning advice from Team Highball and Archer Brothers. I was too afraid to get the 13B or 12A turbo drivetrains as they were from LHD models, but she was heavily modded.

El Sid

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts

1976 Pontiac SunBird. What a fun little car it was with a V6 & RWD.

joe r

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,552 Posts
The 64 VW bug was a gift from my parents when I graduated from High School in 1969. I'd never driven a stick, so the drive home from the dealership was one I still remember!

It had 40 HP when I got it, but it wasn't too long before I wanted more power! It was pushing 100+ HP & would burn rubber in all 4 gears. It was bored to 92mm, stroked with a roller bearing crankshaft, full race cam, dual carburetors, headers with a Cherry Bomb muffler!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: CROM

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting to see all the American owners turned Japanese owners.. Hard to beat the subie reliability and AWD...

I still would love to build a rat rod someday... Keep the faded original paint on and everything.. .yeeaaaahhhh

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
How about an Austin Marina 73 I think... nasty brown color.. was my brothers first car and I drove it in high school (mid 80s) until there was only 1st and 4th gear left... which made for an interesting drive anyplace it went...but it was free..

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
'72 Chevy Impala. This is the car Ralph Nader should have written about. Not the model as a whole, but this one car in particular.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts