Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Iowa, I wanted a vehicle that was utterly reliable. I did a lot of internet research back in 2000 to buy our 2001 Forester. But the real clincher was a phone call to a dealer in the upper west coast where they experience a lot of snowfall, maybe Seattle, I can't remember. But the salesman was great, he told me the police department actually bought some Subarus for patrol cars because they will go where other vehicle won't. We bought a 2001 Forester in emerald green and that winter it snowed almost every other day. I took it out in the country to hunt with (coyote calling) and it never got squirrly on the country roads on snow and ice. My wife drives it now with a rebuilt engine and it has Pirelli P4 tires, but those original Geolanders were awesome !

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
I was driving an 07 Saturn Aura that was fully loaded. It was a super nice car (especially for a Saturn) but i wanted something different. We had a baby on the way and were 5 months out when I decided to get the best family car that I could get. Went straight to Subaru, fought myself about needing to spend the money on the turbo or not and then took home my '13 X. It has been nothing short of amazing from reliability to driving mid winter from Anchorage to Seattle.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
Living in Iowa, I wanted a vehicle that was utterly reliable. I did a lot of internet research back in 2000 to buy our 2001 Forester. But the real clincher was a phone call to a dealer in the upper west coast where they experience a lot of snowfall, maybe Seattle, I can't remember. But the salesman was great, he told me the police department actually bought some Subarus for patrol cars because they will go where other vehicle won't. We bought a 2001 Forester in emerald green and that winter it snowed almost every other day. I took it out in the country to hunt with (coyote calling) and it never got squirrly on the country roads on snow and ice. My wife drives it now with a rebuilt engine and it has Pirelli P4 tires, but those original Geolanders were awesome !
Like you mainly for hunting purposes while every seasons of the year.
And the Forester is one of the best connections (maybe even the best one?) of everyday driving and off-roading. :banana:

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
109 Posts
I looked at other small SUV's before buying my Forester. Two factors caused me to choose the Forester. The Subaru AWD system is better than the others. And the Forester just felt better and had increased outward visibility. It was just a bonus that I got a better deal than on my second choice Honda CRV.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
It was the only vehicle offering everything I needed.

AWD, good fuel economy, fun to drive, good ground clearance, reasonable price... especially with VIP pricing from a professional organization I already belonged to.

Safety was also a major consideration and was one of the reasons I opted for EyeSight.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
I have always wanted a Subaru, as everyone I've ever known that has had one has loved it. So when the '14 2.0 Turbo XT arrived I had to take a look. One test drive and I knew I'd found the vehicle for me.

Performance, interior space, gadgets, and over all looks.. The XT was a win x4.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
88 Posts
I got an FXT for these reasons:

1) Price (under $30000)
2) Acceleration and "fun to drive" factor (combination of powertrain and AWD system)
3) Safety (AWD, great visibility)
4) Didn't have to get leather seats in order to get a turbo engine, AWD, and a sunroof

There are other cars that I think are just as good or better than the FXT, but not for the price. If you want to spend $40000, you can't go wrong with a 4Runner Limited and its off road capability, insane cargo space, unbeatable reliability, and the Land Cruiser's full time AWD system. It's not as "fun to drive" as a small, powerful CUV but it will do everything else and do it well and do it forever.

For $50000 and up there are other options but if you want driving dynamics akin to or superior to the FXT you have to go German or British and compromise reliability (Evoque, Audi SQ5, GLA45AMG, etc... and OMFG that upcoming Jag SUV if you've seen it).

·
Registered
2011 2.5 X Premium 4EAT
84 Posts
I have owned Ford's, Chevy's, Dodge's, Saturn's before my first Subaru...a 06' Baja. After driving the Subie in these Western New York winters, I wouldn't own anything else. I have had two Baja's, one Legacy, two Impreza'a and my current Forester. I got rid of my 12' Impreza for my 11' Forester because I absolutely hated the CVT tranny. Yes, it got great mileage, but it was gutless at first take off. I love ths ground clearance of the Forester this time of year in the deep snow......ice chunks in the middle of the road I ride over and don't swerve to avoid them! :)

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5X automatic
808 Posts
When it was time to trade off the Pontiac Vibe I had decided to get AWD, and having spent the last 22 years before retirement working on foreign cars, Subaru was my first choice, but the clincher was the excellent visibility from the drivers seat. Now 15 months and 18,000+ miles later I couldn't be happier with my Forester.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
181 Posts
MID-SIZE suv that is so fast for what it is and mileage not that bad, real AWD, not some weak version like some other Brands. so many claims about reliability.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I was looking at Foresters as a retirement vehicle back in '03 and '04. When I finally retired in '07 I bought the company vehicle ('03 Windstar) I had been driving because I could get it for a ridiculously low price. It had 90k on it and got 23 mpg on the road.

This past year (175k, by this time) we decided to replace it with something just a little smaller, newer, and with AWD. This past August we found this fully loaded '10 with 31k on it at CarMax at a price we could live with.

While it's not perfect - no automatic door locks and a pitifully small fuel tank (I was used to a 26 gallon tank) we are happy with the choice. For us, it's a daily driver - we don't off-road, road rally, drag race or other such stuff. :raspberry:

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X 4AT
155 Posts
Much nicer to drive than everything I tested in the class (outlander, rav4, compass) except the crv, but with much better visibility, safety and a great deal to boot.

also, i felt it was really the only one of the pack (except maybe outlander) that was built with offroad capability in mind as opposed to an after thought.

drives like a car, works like a truck.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
Had a Mustang GT (03) with low mileage but a further work commute and twins on the way. Wanted something comparable but in SUV form. It was the quickest and roomiest car in it's class for under $30k, AWD and a rep for safety.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
I wanted something that was reliable, had decent resale value, and was fun to drive.

Reliable, well, subaru is up there with honda/toyota. And after being in the performance rally car scene, and seeing what these cars can go though and keep ticking, I knew it would handle whatever my family could through at it.

fun to drive, well, there isn't much else that is fun to drive, and has the awd system/safety records that subaru does. Which as a family hauler, was high on the list. we had a 2012 outback, and loved it, so why not try the forester now that the rear seat room has increased. We are very happy with it. We do miss the room of a larger suv, but that's only on road trips, and we just use the Thule Boxster when needed.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
I knew that I would be starting a family and my next car had to accommodate. Safety was #1 on my list. AWD and black leather was a must but could be flexible.

Went for a ride in my neighbor's '05 WRX wagon, lowered and on performance all season tires, in 8" of snow during a snow storm. We stopped on a steep hill, light changed and we started going again with no slipping. Already sold on Subaru safety, now I was sold on the AWD after that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
AWD and I really liked the way it drove. I bought it for reliability and long life. I am a bit disappointed in the amount of maintenance required but its not a deal breaker.

I would say you need to realize if you intend to keep it for a good long time..its somewhat needy in terms of $$%$ to keep it in excellent repair.

Other up sides are crash worthiness and is is very well built. We have another vehicle but for safety reasons its off limits to her (01 Nissan Sentra)

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
The 04XT had a lot more room and is easier to get in to and out of than the WRX we had originally planned on buying back in late '03, for the impending move to snow territory. Faster by a smidge, flies under the radar, much more cargo-friendly, and easier to live with on the long drives I was going to be making.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts