Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to have the trademark rex sound? What about excessive noise at highway cruising speeds of 100-110kph?

H

·
0 Posts
Maximus said:
to have the trademark rex sound? What about excessive noise at highway cruising speeds of 100-110kph?
Maximus,

I have an MRT stainless steel diff back rear muffler. Sound (not a great file) is here
http://www.upload2.net/download2/1vLwQZv4wtogSWa/R0011702.WAV.html

Pictures are here http://photobucket.com/albums/c104/harbour2929/Forester MY06/

There are many others with all sorts of combos and everyone seems very happy with their alternative arrangements.

Regards
Ron.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta Ron. What's the black bit under the grille-it looks great on the white XTL-is it aftermarket or stock?BTW couldn't work out the sound file on the link provided.Is it the rex growl?What about highway speeds noise?
Regards
Max

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Found the reciept today from Carline mufflers for the axle-back 2 3/4" with Lukey straight thru muffler and it was $190. At that stage it was an experiment and the low cost helped the decision. I would have got a quality stainless one if I'd known how good the result would be - but it's fine.

H

·
0 Posts
Maximus said:
Ta Ron. What's the black bit under the grille-it looks great on the white XTL-is it aftermarket or stock?BTW couldn't work out the sound file on the link provided.Is it the rex growl?What about highway speeds noise?
Regards
Max
Max,
The sound file works ok for me - it is about 2/3rds down the page, the name of it is R0011702.WAV. It may take a few seconds to get itself ready for you to download and then you will probably be asked what program you want to open it in. If it doesn't work let me know and I will email it to you. The black bit under the grille - I am assuming you mean the rectangular box - is simply my blacked out licence plate.

The muffler does produce the rexxie sound but is an exxy piece of kit - $700 or so new. Unless you specifically want that type I'd wait and see what others have as there are a number of combos and everyone seems to be very happy with their choices.

Regards
Ron...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
harbour2929 said:
Max,
The sound file works ok for me - it is about 2/3rds down the page, the name of it is R0011702.WAV. It may take a few seconds to get itself ready for you to download and then you will probably be asked what program you want to open it in. If it doesn't work let me know and I will email it to you. The black bit under the grille - I am assuming you mean the rectangular box - is simply my blacked out licence plate.

The muffler does produce the rexxie sound but is an exxy piece of kit - $700 or so new. Unless you specifically want that type I'd wait and see what others have as there are a number of combos and everyone seems to be very happy with their choices.

Regards
Ron...
Sounds sweet!Re the "black bit"- it's much larger than the no. plate and looks really shmic on the white background-is it just your computer blacking out tool or is it a body kit thing?

H

·
0 Posts
Maximus said:
Sounds sweet!Re the "black bit"- it's much larger than the no. plate and looks really shmic on the white background-is it just your computer blacking out tool or is it a body kit thing?
Max,
I've got Euro plates which are a bit longer than the normal ones I think. Underneath the plate there is the cutout in the front bar which looks a little different to the standard because of the front lower spoiler. But if the thing you are talking about has the "NSW" down the side - that's purely the number plate.

Regards
Ron.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
harbour2929 said:
Max,
I've got Euro plates which are a bit longer than the normal ones I think. Underneath the plate there is the cutout in the front bar which looks a little different to the standard because of the front lower spoiler. But if the thing you are talking about has the "NSW" down the side - that's purely the number plate.

Regards
Ron.
How much to get the front lower spoiler incl. fitting?(approx will do).It's the cutout I like.
Max

H

·
0 Posts
Maximus said:
How much to get the front lower spoiler incl. fitting?(approx will do).It's the cutout I like.
Max
Hi Max,

Check http://subaru.com.au/explore/forester/accessories.asp?body=Wagon&grade=XTL
and look under the Styling Heading. Sit down beforehand - the genuine Subaru bits are expensive!! I was lucky - worked out a very good deal when I bought the car and I have to be honest if I had to pay the retail price for all the bits I got it might have been a different story. I don't really know how the front under body spoiler would look without the side skirts and rear pieces - may be a bit unbalanced but as in all of this if you like it then its all good.

Regards
Ron...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
291 Posts
For that nice boxer burble/no drone muffler you can't go past a MRT/HiTech muffler... :biggrin:

However prior to selling my old GT in favour of the new XT, I fitted a Redback muffler and was very impressed - nice compact size and reasonably compact price - a super note and very little droning on the highway (and out in the sticks where I live this is a big issue)

Cheers
Andrew

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Kevin said:
I also went for a Lukey and axle-backfrom Carline; $195.
Is this smaller than stock?
Im asking because I got my Subaxtreme rear bar on and the muffler looks like it is hanging down very low. Plus its noticable that its a fairly tall shape.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
I think Deja got a Redback straight thru muffler (or something like that)

Seems happy with it.

I'm sure he will be in soon to comment.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
DN I also have the Carline Lukey straight thru set up @2 3/4" (because it wasn't mandrell bent) and the muffler is tiny compared to the stock one. Off centre entry and exit option for it means you can turn it till it fits up tight where you want it.
See www.photobucket.com/albums/d146/Tommmo for pics.
Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
04 XT Forester Manual
27 Posts
Max,

I am like you, now looking at options for exhaust. The Lukey straight through oval muffler seems to be a popular choice.

Been talking to my muffler/suspension/brakes guy in the last couple of days about getting a burble and some extra performance. Seems you have to go close to 3" cat back and the right muffler to get the sound. He advised not to ditch the centre resonator (immediately after the cat) to minimise drone.

If all my ducks line up in the next 2 weeks, I will probably bite the bullet and put an MRT XB kit on. My muffler guy says that for performance on a boxer, you really should consider a dump pipe upgrade, in mild steel not stainless.

Nigel.

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
DN - as per FourXTer, yes that's why I had it done because after I installed the rear bar the muffler hung down like the "proverbial".

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
aiki99 said:
Max,

I am like you, now looking at options for exhaust. The Lukey straight through oval muffler seems to be a popular choice.

Been talking to my muffler/suspension/brakes guy in the last couple of days about getting a burble and some extra performance. Seems you have to go close to 3" cat back and the right muffler to get the sound. He advised not to ditch the centre resonator (immediately after the cat) to minimise drone.

If all my ducks line up in the next 2 weeks, I will probably bite the bullet and put an MRT XB kit on. My muffler guy says that for performance on a boxer, you really should consider a dump pipe upgrade, in mild steel not stainless.

Nigel.
Thanks Nigel.Let me know what you think once it's on.Also, don't follow the "dump pipe" or "cat back" issues-not much of a techie-could you explain these briefly when you've got time to post?
Max

PS Now know what a cat back is but still in the dark re the dump pipe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Candy said:
I think Deja got a Redback straight thru muffler (or something like that)

Seems happy with it.

I'm sure he will be in soon to comment.
Yep. 3" Mandrel bent, into 3" Redback oval triple flow and 4" tip.

Nice and mellow tone, no drone, not loud.

Wife likes it too. FTW.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Maximus said:
Thanks Nigel.Let me know what you think once it's on.Also, don't follow the "dump pipe" or "cat back" issues-not much of a techie-could you explain these briefly when you've got time to post?
Dump pipe is turbo back. Its called dump pipe since its refering to the part that handles the turbo wastegate (or dump)

there is also cat back - common since you can keep your stock cat.
axle back - pretty much just the muffler!

Thommo (sorry I cant handle your new handle!) that looks a lot smaller than the ugly stock muffler. Ive booked to get a full 3" system with a muffler to tuck up. The guy asked if I new about MRT and then said if I go there to explain that I wanted a custom setup. I think Im suppose to buy the exhaust via MRT rather than direct from the Carline guys.
So Im looking forward to
- better sound
- better performance
- better clearance
- smaller bank balance

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Mine is a steel Lukey muffler which Carline are agents for. In their brochure there's a pic and it's called Straight Through Mufflers.It mentions stainless option too.
MRT one is going to cost heaps more than $190 for the whole axle-back fitted, that's for sure.

Cheers :cool: p.s.That's Tommmo to you!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts