Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 60K maintenence is coming up and I'm looking to do a tranny flush on my car soon. I was just wondering which brand of dexron III you guys use. I may use Mobile1 or Castrol but am not certain what works better. Also read some posts about the Subaru 4EAT not liking synthetics. Any truths to that? Please post some preferences.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
For my tranny flush I'll be buying it from my local Subie dealership. Whatever one the service manager recommends.
I like buying sone supplies from dealerships. Build a relationship in case you need it.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
If you have an 09 doesn't the owner's manual dictate the Subaru Type HP fluid? I'm not sure that there are any guaranteed replacements for the fluid.

Since you'll be past your 60K warranty limit, unless you bought an extended warranty I guess you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty.

If you do switch, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them if they're willing to guarantee their fluid won't damage the transmission. When I tried a couple of years ago Castrol called me back and told me not to use their fluid. It's possible formulations have changed, but for a $4000 item, I'd check before I added anything other than what Subaru specifies.

Free advice, and worth every cent you paid for it.......

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,139 Posts
You want to use the Subaru ATF-HP. I wouldn't use anything else. Dexron does not have the additives to prevent AutoTranny "Shudder" and more wear over time.

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
i think 06 or 05 up should use subaru atf-hp, lower year models may use dexron atf.

according to the manual there will be a vibration if dexron atf is used on suggested atf-hp vehicles.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well now the question is where to get the best price? I can't get any good discounts by walking in and ordering it.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Well now the question is where to get the best price? I can't get any good discounts by walking in and ordering it.
That's the problem. The dealer prices are all over the place, typically in the $6-$7 per quart range. Mail order, by the time shipping charges are factored in hasn't proven much better.

For me, this was one of those times I decided to build some good will with my parts depaertment and just get a case off of them. It won't go bad, and I've done 4 drains and fills already, with one, possibly two more with the supplies I have on hand.

Don't forget new crush washers for the transmission pan bolt and the lower torque that bolt uses. The oil pan plug bolt is ~ 32 ft/lbs, but the transmission bolt is < 20 (18.x ft/lbs) I think. Should be an easy search to confirm those numbers.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Just a FYI, Subaru ATF-HP is a rebranded Idemitsu ATF-HP so if you can find Idemitsu ATF-HP cheaper, get that instead.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a FYI, Subaru ATF-HP is a rebranded Idemitsu ATF-HP so if you can find Idemitsu ATF-HP cheaper, get that instead.
Thanks, I'll see what i can find.... I knew I should've gotten a manual. Autos are such PITA's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts