Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get an XT and just wondering what a safe bet is. I've heard that the 04's have a head gasket problem. I had a friend tell me that they had an 18g on their fxt and it blew a head gasket almost instantly. What do you guys think is a safe power range?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
AFAIK, everybody that was/is running VF39s had no problems w/ their head gaskets...it was only after swapping to a larger turbo and going into mid 300s or higher WHP and torque than the problems started happening.

~250WHP and ~300ftlbs at the wheels is pretty safe on our engines and trannies.

If you go w/ STi bolt ons that is pretty reliable as well...and cost effective.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
sirwilliam said:
If you go w/ STi bolt ons that is pretty reliable as well...and cost effective.
As long as you have an 04. If you have an 05 it's not going to be quite as easy. You will require a tune.

Ben

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the VF22 on my setup, but I agree either way you will need a good tune as well as some other upgrades like injectors, bigger intercooler etc.

Good luck.

Kevin

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
w/ the right tune and supporting mods ie: injectors, FP, TMIC you shouldnt have any problems with head gaskets.

I just sold a VF34 before it was installed because I'm seriously considering going with an FP18G/injectors/FP/tune instead of the bolt on VF34 and tune.

I dont want to do a turbo swap and have it tuned more than once so a slightly larger turbo than a VF22 and larger injectors should give me enough power so I'm not hungry for more right away.

I would stay away from anything larger than an 18G because things will start to slip (clutch) and excessive power comes breakage (tranny) Most STi guys will say an 18G is too small for the 2.5 but they have the right drivetrain to support a GT35r or Zilla turbo (400+whp turbos)

the motor isnt something you should worry about as long as you have a good tune. there are plenty of STi's with 400+whp but they have the stronger 6 spd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts