Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Most use a 1/2" breaker bar stuck in the plug

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Any 1/2" drive would work, but the breaker sure makes removal easy. DON'T use the breaker to tighten it though.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The "official" size for the drain plug's square drive is 13mm, or slightly larger than 1/2" (12.7mm). An example of a drive is described here:

13mm Subaru & Nissan Drain Socket

This particular example can be driven by a 1/2" socket, and a 15/16 (24mm) socket or wrench would also appear to work.

It would be nice to be able to find a bit priced like this one, or even find this whole set, here in the U.S.

Remember to loosen the fill (upper) plug before removing the drain plug.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Any 1/2" drive would work, but the breaker sure makes removal easy. DON'T use the breaker to tighten it though.
+1 i agree with this . it's not the exact tool but works very well as a replacement

·
Registered
2000 SF 2.0l Auto S-Turbo
38 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack but what is the best method to refill the diff seeing as the filler plug is in an awkward place?

Pump oil can?

OBW

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack but what is the best method to refill the diff seeing as the filler plug is in an awkward place?
I don't know about best but I just got a large syringe from the local vet supply store. Works great.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,380 Posts

Buy 2 of these type of bottles you can squeeze about half out into the upper fill and then just refill it backup. It takes a bit less than a quart for the rear. A little over a quart for the front. Two total.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
spend 6 bucks at autozone for a manual pump that screws on the top of teh bottle .. stick the hose in the fill hole and pump away

·
Registered
1998 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. FWIW I attached a small section of clear tubing, maybe 1/8 ID to the bottle and squeezed it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts