Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not my Forester that leaks oil. Its a car I have option to bring home from work as an assigned car to drive. It leaks, and isn't going to be fixed so if it is going to park in my fairly new driveway made of nice looking exposed aggragate concrete I need to put some sort of mat underneath it to catch the oil drips.

I used to use a piece of 1/2" plywood under my old Dodge Dakota, but it looked kind of ghetto an oily piece of plywood in the driveway when the truck wasn't parked over it hiding it.

Open to suggestions. :icon_idea:

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I have a large shallow pan I got from the local AutoZone I use every time I work on the car and it involves fluids. It's great because it was cheap and cleans up quickly. It keeps the garage floor clean too. It's even handy when you are working on the brakes and want to spray down the area with brake cleaner. Keeps bolts from rolling too far away too :)

(I know there are 6 quarts of oil, I was changing it in the Tribeca - before someone comments...)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Metal-Drip-Pan-Blitz_9016759-P_N3321_T/GRPD?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Become-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&srccode=cii_16079562&cpncode=21-41033193-2

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
We park our westy in the garage, and like any good vw it has a habit of marking its spot..
I know where the drips are and have a rubber bottomed boot/floor mat under there. It's maybe 1.5x2ft made for putting your winter boots on. saves the cement and makes everyone happy.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
:shake:

Now I've seen it all.
Hey those are very versatile items. We use 4 layers of 5 rolled up maxi-pads to filter oil droplets from high pressure Hydrogen gas after it first passes through a coalescer. We call it the 'K' Filter.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I'm a little embarrassed I remember that commercial actually :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
I have a friend who owns a '56 Caddy. It's kept in his garage.
He uses a large baking pan filled with oil dry or kitty litter (same thing?).
Not sure if this would be workable outdoors, but it may spark an idea.
Maybe the best thing to do is not bring the company leaker home and expense the mileage for your vehicle.
My wife has access to work vehicles but she has the option & we both feel better knowing she is driving something with a known service history.
Red

·
Registered
2007 suv 4x4
1 Posts
Just use an oil drip catch cart. I got mine through the internet and its price is cheap. Its wheels on it makes it easy to put it in and out of under your drip.:rock:

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
You could always just toss out some kitty litter under your car... get tired of seeing it? Sweep it away! It should blend with concrete anyways, so it won't show on your driveway from afar.

Just watch out for the neighborhood cats. :icon_eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts