Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a new engine for my 02 Forster S sense mine just blow. I don't know which kind to purchase and I know I want a Turbo but don't know much about them. I am going to have it installed at a friends shop so i just need to purchase one. What would be the best and most affordable to swap with a turbo?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Good luck. Complete motors are a PITA to find, and odds are, it's a 50/50 shot whether or not it'll arrive ready to drop in.

I went through the same situation you were in. If I were to do it all over again, I would have had a shop re-build my motor as it would have ran several hundred dollars cheaper than trying to find a complete motor to drop in.

My shop said it would have ran me $1500 to take my motor and completely re-build it with forged pistons, rebuilt heads, new valve guide seals, all new gaskets, re-honed block, new bearings, and labor.

If you want to see what type of mess I got myself into with my engine swap (being that at the time, I had no idea what I was doing either), click here....http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/4-month-nightmare-60081/

·
Registered
2002 Forester Manual
10 Posts
Any Updates

Hello, Just wondering what you ended up doing. Just blew my motor and looking for either a replacement or to go turbo? You have to swap the computers for this correct?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
You have to swap the computers for this correct?

Thanks!
And merge the engine wiring harnesses, among other things. You're in the Bay Area, call LIC Motorsports in Novato. They're the absolute #1 authority in the country when it comes to smog-legal engine swaps.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Manual
10 Posts
They No Longer do that swap

Talked to Noah at LCI and they do not do the turbo swap. Thus i am left to just ask should i rebuild my motor or just get a JDM , also should i get a sohc or dohc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,705 Posts
02-05 WRX motor with a 2.5 bottom end would suit you well... still drive by cable and wiring would be easier than a straight FXT or STI swap, such as myself. Biggest fact here , is that the 02-05 manifolds still utilize the throttle cable. Everything else is Drive by wire, which is more wiring to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts