Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few months of looking for a new car (yes I know) I have concluded that I am not going to get anything better than my Foz without going into debt, something I want to avoid.

I was looking for something which was as quick, with as much room and with a little more economy (but this was low on my priorities). Took a number of cars out, Merc E320 CDI (nice, but not quick enough and drives like a barge), Audi S4 (just as thirsty and wife didnt like), also took out a Mundaino ST and a BMW 328 Touring (felt a **** driving this)

But after each test drive I get back in my Forester and it just seems better, more compitent and quicker.

Sure its louder, sure its thirsty but its mine and its quick and sticks to the road like the preverbial s**t to a blanket.

So i've decided I am going to keep it, after all it currently owes me nowt.

Anyway to the point, what do I need to look at with regard to its age, I know rust is an issue but this is minimal and seems to be limited to the doors and rear tailgate.

Cambelt and tensioner where changed 10K ago and its had all new brakes recently and had all the fluids changed in the diffs and gearbox, anything else liquid wise I need to change?

Also is the water pump prone to failure because of mileage or age?

Or should I just enjoy and and stop worrying :crazy:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Enjoy it... the thing I like about Subarus is that they're more engineering than electronics - unlike most modern cars that are glorified domestic appliances - so if something does break or go wrong, it can usually be replaced fairly cheaply and easily plus if they're properly maintained, they're not far short of bullet proof.

I do sometimes think about changing to get something with better economy, then I look at what I can afford and realise that the Forester ticks more boxes and that what I lose in economy, I make up for in lack of depreciation - I only paid £3.5k for mine so that's the most I can lose... I paid £12k for a Cooper S convertible about a year ago that's only worth about £10k now, I reckon my Forester is still worth £3.5k if not a touch more! ;o)

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
I bought mine a year ago as a stop gap to get me out of my wifes classic mini that was being run into the ground. I always fancied a foz and thought I'd give one a try but really I was working towards an Elise.

The foz is old, battered and scratched and has 141k on it but it's huge fun and does everything I want (assuming it will get down that green lane mdg found! :icon_eek: ) so it's a keeper as far as I'm concerned. Plus, my daughter would be most upset if I got rid of "big ol' red subaru" :icon_biggrin:

I'm now trying to work out how to get an Elise and still keep the Foz :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I'm now trying to work out how to get an Elise and still keep the Foz :biggrin:
Flowers and chocolates for the other half is a good start :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Gone through the sme process

The only thing that ticks all the boxes is ...

another Forester, Sti?

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Flowers and chocolates for the other half is a good start :biggrin:
No problem there, I found the perfect car the other evening on PH and my missus said just go and buy it :biggrin:

Cashflow is more the issue with having just too many cars. I have the Foz and a 1964 Mk 1 mini undergoing restoration, (not to mention my 1979 mini estate track car that needs some welding) and my wife has an impreza and a 1998 classic mini we run during the summer. We should reduce the fleet but they are all either too useful or we are sentimentally attached to them.

I had a ride in a bowler wildcat as the festival of speed and now I want one of those too. I am a lost cause... :shrug:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gone through the sme process

The only thing that ticks all the boxes is ...

another Forester, Sti?
Done that one as well but as I said, "no debt for a car", plus there all manuals which means the wife cant drive it (wich is a bonus I suppose)

The reason I am asking guys is I have some spare cash at the moment to fix things which might need fixing in the future and I want to spend it on the car before the wife decides we need new curtains and cushions! :crazy:

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Buy lots of spare bits and stockpile them, or take the cash and bury it until you decide you really do need that flip pearl pink respray or those Ronal teddy bear alloys (!)

I was gutted last night cos the missus said she'd totalled the side of the car - got home, minor surface scratching (already polished it out) and a cracked wing mirror glass. Ah well, such is life I thought. Then we had one of those "the car's more important to you than it is me" conversations and I said let's get rid and get a Golf TDi estate or a Skoda D or a Focus. Then our 3 year old said "no daddy, I like my big silver car". Case closed.

So now the plan is keep it, run it, pay for bits, let it depreciate, then scrap it when it really has had enough... but judging by recent posts on mileage, that won't be for a LONG time :)))

Re: fuel economy, the money I lose in fuel, the more I save in not looking to upgrade the car in two years. Plus it is a turbo'd petrol engine running 180 brake (a long time ago!) so what can I reasonably expect to do other than DRIVE it (quite hard a lot)..?? Don't get me wrong; X124 wants for nothing and the slightest creak, knock or other and I'm straight round to see Paul. Every time I have had an issue, it's been nothing other than "they all do that" or "I'll do it at the service and charge you nowt" or "yours is miles better than most of the other foresters I see".

So, happy days... Stop worrying. Enjoy it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,696 Posts
Ok Mike I'll come clean.

I seriously considered a Volvo V70 AWD Deseil as, the cost of super & all the money I've spent on mine & Wifelet's.

That was till Yesterday, on the Motorway.:evilatyou:

**** in an Audi A5 got right into my ashtray, going from side to side, move out of my way.

When the car in front moved into the middle lane mr turbo kicked in and bye bye Kraut.

I even let him catch me up a couple of times to do it all over again.:biggrin:

I know I'm a big kid.

I'm also keeping my Foz.:icon_wink:

Regards

AM

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
No problem there, I found the perfect car the other evening on PH and my missus said just go and buy it :biggrin:

Cashflow is more the issue with having just too many cars. I have the Foz and a 1964 Mk 1 mini undergoing restoration, (not to mention my 1979 mini estate track car that needs some welding) and my wife has an impreza and a 1998 classic mini we run during the summer. We should reduce the fleet but they are all either too useful or we are sentimentally attached to them.

I had a ride in a bowler wildcat as the festival of speed and now I want one of those too. I am a lost cause... :shrug:
We're not quite that bad... just the FXT, a Mini Cooper S Convertible (BMW, sorry), a SEAT Leon FR and the wife's scooter - I fancy a Wildcat too and a Lotus but my other half has said we don't have anywhere to park them! ;o)

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
We're not quite that bad... just the FXT, a Mini Cooper S Convertible (BMW, sorry), a SEAT Leon FR and the wife's scooter - I fancy a Wildcat too and a Lotus but my other half has said we don't have anywhere to park them! ;o)
Nice cars. I looked at leons before the foz but couldn't find the right car. Nowt wrong with BMW mini's, we had a One for a while. Great little car.

I forgot about bikes. My father in law has a 1975 Triumph boneville that we stand to aquire at some point now he has his goldwing trike to use. Neither of us have a bike licence so not sure what we'll do with it, but selling is not an option.

Going a bit off topic here. Maybe we should start a new thread before we get in trouble :N_poke: :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Then we had one of those "the car's more important to you than it is me" conversations
Glad I'm not the only one who has that conversation. To be honest, isn't it about time they faced facts? :biggrin:

...When the car in front moved into the middle lane mr turbo kicked in and bye bye Kraut.

I know I'm a big kid.
Yes, yes you are but hey ho, you can't beat a bit of BMW/Audi/Merc-baiting - esp. the ones who like to quote "my TDi has more torque than a Lamborghini" down the pub who my wife refers to as Totally Delusional Idiots (aka TDi)! :biggrin:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Mike I'll come clean.

I seriously considered a Volvo V70 AWD Deseil as, the cost of super & all the money I've spent on mine & Wifelet's.

That was till Yesterday, on the Motorway.:evilatyou:

**** in an Audi A5 got right into my ashtray, going from side to side, move out of my way.

When the car in front moved into the middle lane mr turbo kicked in and bye bye Kraut.

I know I'm a big kid.

I'm also keeping my Foz.:icon_wink:

Regards

AM
Know what you mean, had a BMW Kok, driving a z4, on the way back from Cornwall. Right up the arse end of my car coming down the slip road onto the A30. At first I thought let him go, but then thought, er no! Switched from low to high boost and off we go. Which I think Mr Z4 was quite shocked by, especially as I was fully loaded with camping gear, a bike on the back and a roof box on! :evilatyou:

then I get my wife uttering the words "Your such a child, you know that?" :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Im not easily drawn into a "mines bigger than yours" but brother law bangs on about how much tourque and power his diesal Ford Galaxy has and that the forester is all show and no go

you know the answer, I know the answer, and about 5 seconds after the traffic lights turned green so does my brother in law

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
It's not big and it's not clever, but it is fun! ;o)

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im not easily drawn into a "mines bigger than yours" but brother law bangs on about how much tourque and power his diesal Ford Galaxy has and that the forester is all show and no go
is he clinically insane? :crazy:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts